Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1991 Trail Boss 350L 2x4 HOT light

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Trail Boss 350L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
No this wouldn't cause the engine to over heat,but it needs to be fixed so the fan can cycle on and off properly which extends the life of the fan. If one hose side is hot and one cold on the radiator then still sounds like trapped air or a dirty radiator. You can generally open the radiator cap and see if coolant is at least flowing back,plus a good idea on this machine to bleed the head bolt first,jack the front end up and leave the radiator cap off. Air pockets can also be between the radiator and the water pump.This would help take care of that.
So if I am understanding you correctly I should do this:
1) Open the burp bolt (10mm on top of engine)
2) Jack the front end up
3) Remove radiator cap
All with the engine off.

Correct me if I am wrong on this. You have been very helpful thus far.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes,then crank the engine for awhile and let the engine get warm.Top of the radiator if coolant goes down. Then check that both sides of the radiator hoses are warm and circulating.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Trail Boss 350L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this may seem repetitive for you but should I close the rad cap and the burp bolt before running it?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by trailboss350
I know this may seem repetitive for you but should I close the rad cap and the burp bolt before running it?
Remove the radiator cap.Open the bleed bolt until nothing but straight coolant flows out then close the bolt. Jack the front end up until the tires are a few inches off the ground. Crank it up and let it get warm. Top off the radiator if the coolant level goes down. You can help remove trapped air by squeezing the hoses while it's running.With the fan hooked direct and running,air bled from the system,the hot light shouldn't come on.If its does,then it's back to the radiator,whether it's dirty or even stopped up if hoses are warm only on one side.Again you can usually tell if coolant is circulating through the radiator meaning the water pump is ok.