Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question about water pump impeller

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The fuel mixture screw,spring,washer and o-ring come in the kits. If you weren't able to count the turns on the fuel screw,set the new one at 2-2.5 turns out from a lightly seated position. As far as the high $ idle adjuster,can't help much on that as the cheapest I've found is 74 bucks. Like I mentioned I don't know if the old BST34 adjuster could be made to work or not.Did notice this used one that appears in good shape. Still 50 bucks.2004 01-13 Polaris Sportsman 500 OEM Carburetor Idle Adusting Adjuster Cable eBay
probably a dumb question but the air fuel screw is actually a needle, that's what you meanthink by the screw is included correct?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lph008
probably a dumb question but the air fuel screw is actually a needle, that's what you meanthink by the screw is included correct?
It's not an air fuel screw but strictly a fuel or pilot screw as some call it.Yes it has a needle tip. Easy way to tell on carbs if they are an air screw or fuel screw: If the adjuster is towards rear of a carb(like most two stroke round slide carbs),it adjusts air flow to mix with the fuel for a smooth idle. If the adjuster is at the front of the carb,it's a pilot or fuel screw.It adjusts fuel ratio with incoming air for a smooth idle.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well while waiting for the carb kit I decided to pull the valve cover off, the center lobe is worn down to nothing, what are all the parts i need to complete this fix? I'm assuming this is the reason for no rev when i throttle it. Just want to order all the parts so I can finish it. Thanks

Old 04-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I thought you already checked that.. POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 2X4 4X4 CAM SHAFT CAMSHAFT EXHAUST ROCKER ARM 1995-2012 | eBay Or plenty of others to look at on ebay. Make sure you at least replace the exhaust rocker arm also. One has gaskets also.2003 Sportsman 500 cam | eBay

Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

No sir, I was replacing all the other parts and waiting on parts lol. Finally was able to do the waterpump and then noticed it wouldn't rev, I hadn't rode it before that. It hadoesn't sat for 3 years before I got it. I was hoping it was just a fuel issue with the carb, that will be rebuilt end of week, now I gotta order cam. How hard is it to replace cam? I've never done it before. I've checked valve clearances in the past and always had a local guyou shim valves when needed. For Some reason Ive always been worried about screwing something up when it comes to valves and cam. Worried about timing etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'll show you how to do it right,not the way I do them.. A member posted pics on his replacement. You have to pull the flywheel and stator plate.MARK the plate and case before you remove it. Behind the stator plate is the lower crank sprocket and chain.Remove the tensioner also.Loosen the center bolt and remove it and the spring,push the plunger in. When you have the new cam and chain on,install the tensioner and then install the spring and bolt. It will self adjust when you turn the recoil over slowly.A member posted pics on his replacement that can show you how.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250

Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'll need a puller for the flywheel correct?

Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

A harmonic balancer puller or a heavy duty steering wheel puller is needed. You can "borrow" these at most auto stores for a small deposit if you don't have one. Also you'll need (3) 8mm x 1.25 pitch bolts to screw into the flywheel if the kit doesn't have them. Similar to pulling this flywheel on a 700 engine.
If you don't have a manual this cheap one can help rather than guessing on some things. http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2003-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I performed a couple searches and I seen a post you made a long time ago about telling a guy another way to do it. That your way of doing it? Is your way not for beginners? LOL

Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You have to be very,very careful if you do it that way. The flywheel must not move when you change cams and the plated links on the chain don't matter either,just the cam index pin must be center of the head. Glad you found it cause I don't have the fingers to type that again..