Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question about water pump impeller

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok OPT new cam is in, fires right up and revs like it should now. But lol....boe my fan isn't kicking on and steam shoots out of coolant overflow bottle?? I have burped the system 2 times and I'm sure it still needs to be burped but I'm heading to work. I will have a few hours to get it put back together tomorrow morning. Just want to know your thoughts on this, fan worked great before this, yes it is plugged in, cleaner connections and used dielectric grease.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Jack the front end up,tires off the ground a little and squeeze the hoses as it's idling with the radiator cap off. Again this is a hard model to purge all the air from. Even if the fan may have run before, the radiator sensor may have shorted preventing the fan from kicking on.2000-04 Polaris Sportsman 400 500 Radiator Fan Thermal Switch Sensor - 4010161 | eBay That is if you haven't already replaced this part.Haven't looked back at all your posts to see.. Plus again you can apply 12 volts to the fan motor connector itself to make sure it's still ok.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

So the sensor may have shorted?

Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The sensors were the most common problem for fans not kicking on especially if the hot light kicked on first and spewed coolant and the fan doesn't kick on. It can also still be just trapped air causing the spewing IF the hot light isn't kicking on and the temp isn't hot enough to trigger the fan. Just purge again,check that the fan works and go from there.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I'll get into it tomorrow. Sorry for the same question but what are the proper fluids for the 03? Need to know transmission and front gear case. Also alternatives to Polaris fluids? Literally wasted 3 oil changes in the past month with 1 mile drive time. Gas in oil after 1st change, then gas again, then just changed to day after carb rebuild lol getting expensive

Old 05-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Polaris AGL or Amsoil gear case lube or any lube that says suitable for chain driven gear cases. Front diff 75/90 or 80/90 GL4 or 5 is ok to use. 80/90 is basically the same as the Polaris Angle Drive fluid that is used in the older front and rear diffs.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Polaris AGL or Amsoil gear case lube or any lube that says suitable for chain driven gear cases. Front diff 75/90 or 80/90 GL4 or 5 is ok to use. 80/90 is basically the same as the Polaris Angle Drive fluid that is used in the older front and rear diffs.

great thank you. Well I ran 3 more burp cycles after work and finally the 3rd time the fan kicked on. So time to put it back together and start on the hub seals. I also have to dig into the awd switch intermittently working. I'm going to do the steps in that video you posted. With the 03 model, how do you know that the awd is actually on? When I turn the key to display all the different warning indicators on the Speedo, I don't see anything for awd to show that it's on?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
great thank you. Well I ran 3 more burp cycles after work and finally the 3rd time the fan kicked on. So time to put it back together and start on the hub seals. I also have to dig into the awd switch intermittently working. I'm going to do the steps in that video you posted. With the 03 model, how do you know that the awd is actually on? When I turn the key to display all the different warning indicators on the Speedo, I don't see anything for awd to show that it's on?
nevermind, I just watched that video until the end which I didn't do before lol

Old 05-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
nevermind, I just watched that video until the end which I didn't do before lol
lmao disregard that comment above, just went out and checked, move doesn't have that little light next to awd switch to show it's in awd. So again, how do i know when it's actually working ?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
ok just to clarify, AGL can be substituted with 75/90 for the transmission/rear gear case.?