Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP ME PLEASE! I'm out of hair to pull out

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME PLEASE! I'm out of hair to pull out

Long story short. I have fixed everything except for the idle issue. I have clean the carb more times than I can remember. I've made sure the throttle cable has a 1/8 inch Slack. I've sprayed the outside of a carb with carburetor cleaner to check for vacuum leaks. I even adjusted the valve to make sure that wasn't the issue. The four wheeler runs fine just does not idle. When it's idling it seems like it misses and that causes it to stall. I shot a video and uploaded it to YouTube I will have a link below to show what I'm talking about. In this video you will hear the miss at 7 31 40 42 and 48 seconds. I have the idle ser high so it doesnt stall. What is causing it to miss. Thank you very much for helping me.

https://youtu.be/84pRXUrtSCI

Old 04-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hook a timing light up to it and see if the light is constant or flickers in time with the miss.If it's a constant light it's still probably fuel/carb related. If it flickers it's usually an electrical problem.Carbs can eventually wear out(slides,jet block assemblies,diaphragms,float arms,float pins,none of which are in kits and costs more in completely rebuilding one than to replace the carb. Chinese copy BST34 carbs are on ebay if you can't find anything else wrong.Looks like a lot of people have gotten them,but if it comes down to that make sure you clean it and check jets against the oem carb.New Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 CARBURETOR 4x4 ATV QUAD CARB 1999-2000 NON HO | eBay Love the brand name on the carbs.. Zoom Zoom Plus have you just cleaned the carb only? If so a good carb kit may solve the problem.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shindy-Carb-...dVg5FP&vxp=mtr

Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default Timing light to show the miss.

Here's the video of the timing like. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/qnwbOiCWZqE

Old 04-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to mention in the first post. I bought a zoom zoom carb and it ran really bad with it installed

Old 04-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

I forgot to mention in the first post. I bought a zoom zoom carb and it ran really bad with it installed

Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you haven't taken the carb apart and made sure it's clean and all orifices are open I'd do so.Plus check that the jets are the same as the oem Mikuni carb.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what did you do to "clean" the carb. Hopefully you removed the pilot "idle" jet and ensured the tiny ity-bity holes are all free. Removing that jet can be difficult so ensure you use the correct size screwdriver or you'll strip it. I can't count the number of times I've opened a bowl to see that the idle jet was stripped...thus never taken out & cleaned thoroughly...