Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Diesel, what does everyone think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I've never seen one, the thought of a Diesel quad is quite interesting. Has anyone ridden the Polaris Diesel? If so, does it sound like the big boys? Just curious, and I'm sure out of all the people on here, at least one of them knows!

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 10-10-1999, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Dreamof,

I had a chance last summer to witness a Polaris Diesel on the trails of Michaux state forrest. The sound is unlike anything out there. I'd say that it is roughly like the cross between the sound of a diesel truck and a helicopter. Man, I tell you I didn't know what was coming through the woods until I saw it. It seemed to go pretty well.

------------------
Mike Chero 97 Polaris Sport 400L/ 97 Polaris Trailblazer 250ES

http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html

Old 10-10-1999, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Diesel's are slugs. Unless you are going to use it for work, pulling, hauling, etc. absolutely no reason to go diesel. Until they come up with a true aftermarket turbo kit like several have for pickups, don't even bother. Look at the diesel Hummer. I drove one once when my son brought one home from his unit for a weekend, and I don't think it could hit 65 mph.

Old 10-10-1999, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Diesel is very slow,stinks, and is really useless in the ATV industry.If you need to tow,work,or haul,the gas powered 500s are all you'll ever need with their Low range gears.My dealer said he did'nt expect the Diesel to be around for to long,because they are just to inpracticle.BILL

Old 10-10-1999, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Hmm, doesn't sound too useful, but definitely interesting. I was just curious.

The Hummer/HMMWV uses the 6.5 liter turbo Diesel. Even with that engine it's still slow, but it does the job. One thing it definitely lacks is on road manners!

[This message has been edited by DreamofPolaris (edited 10-10-1999).]

Old 10-10-1999, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I asked my dealer about them, and he sais the only thing they are good for is heavy work, and they will probably last for ever

Old 10-10-1999, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

We have a bridge building crew that is working in the area that runs the diesels,sportsman 500s and a couple of 6x6s as workhorses they say one benifit of the diesel is that they don,t need to pack gasoline for it it runs on the same fuel as the cranes and bulldozers but they have the same question as I did . Why not put that diesel engine in a real work machine like the 6x6 or the ranger? Seems like thats where it would belong.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-10-1999, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Kevin. BILL

Old 10-10-1999, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have to 3rd that one, why not in the Sportsman 6x6? I am sure they'd have some competition if the market was that big, however. Can you imagine what a new engine must cost? Add the fact that probably only the dealer can fix it!

I can see why they use Diesels with the cranes and stuff, same reason the military uses a Diesel in the HMMWV, (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle, Hummvee/Hummer, same thing)so it's the same as the dump trucks, tanks, bulldozers etc.

I guess with all things considered, it is pretty asanine, but if it makes it sound like a chopper/semi, I wouldn't mind the intimidation factor!

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 10-10-1999, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Do not forget resale.
Who are you going to sell it
to if you do not like it, or you
are just ready for a new one?
The market for a diesel is just too
tiny to take the risk.

Quick Reply: Polaris Diesel, what does everyone think?