Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 Scrambler 500 4x4 No Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Scrambler 500 4x4 No Power

My 04 Scrambler 500 rolled back down my driveway into a set of trees. I guess my brake wasn't tight enough, lucky enough nobody was hurt. Although the 4wheeler wedged into a tree. The key start hasn't worked in a couple months but pull start every time on first or second pull. When I turned the key, no lights anywhere, no headlights.....and of course I wasn't able to pull start. So is there a fuse that might have broke? I pulled middle plastic and wiggled key power supply to no avail. I hooked up to battery charger, but still no avail. Any ideas on this thing before I set a match to it? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a fusible link off the battery but you can test to see if it's ok. Also has the ecm module that has the circuit breakers and power for the dash,lights,fan,etc that can cause problems also.Items #22 and 23.Polaris ATV Parts 2004 A04BG50AA SCRAMBLER 500 4X4 ELECTRICAL-TAILLIGHT Diagram Here's a cheap service manual that can help also.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2004-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
There is a fusible link off the battery but you can test to see if it's ok. Also has the ecm module that has the circuit breakers and power for the dash,lights,fan,etc that can cause problems also.Items #22 and 23.Polaris ATV Parts 2004 A04BG50AA SCRAMBLER 500 4X4 ELECTRICAL-TAILLIGHT Diagram Here's a cheap service manual that can help also.2004 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download
Long time lurker. First time poster OPT you helped me fix a few Polaris quads.
I’m having similar issues. Any way to test the ecu with a volt meter..?
no lights on dash
kill switch doesn’t shut off quad.
I think the old owner bypassed the fan temp switch because it comes on with the key

Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can test the fan thermistor on the head by checking resistance readings when cold and when warm. Resistance should drop as the sensor warms up. Cup of hot water can tell you if it's working ok or not. Plus yes I've had fans kick on when sensors checked out ok because the ecm shorted out. Not too much to check except there will be power coming into the ecm,but no power out,you might as well say it's failed.You don't give what model you have but the cheap service manual has a little info on ecms. Might be worth the 5 bucks to make sure you can eliminate other problems and narrow it down to the ecm module. Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download

Old 01-31-2018, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Going to start a new thread I guess