Solution: No Spark Polaris 400 HO Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Solution: No Spark Polaris 400 HO Sportsman

For anyone else with a no-spark who reads this in the future:

Problem: No Spark Polaris Sportsman 400HO 2013

Tried (didn't fix but might for you)-(ohm standards listed in service manual- worth buying!):
- replaced spark plug
- repaired burnt brown ground wire near CDI by soldering it
- Ohm + continuity tested red spark plug boot
- Ohm + continuity tested ignition coil and did primary/secondary test,
- Ohms test on Stator and pulse coil
- Checked resistance of each stator leg(.43 in book - I got .6)ohms) by testing yellow wires at connector that plugs into CDI.
- Cut black "kill" wire which didn't fix but instead stopped function of all electronics. Spliced it back together and engine turns over but still no spark
- Charged battery and tested voltage at 12.8
- Battery load test (11v)

Solution
- I then took off all the plastic bumpers on the quad (not necessarily needed but how I spotted problem) and uncrewed and cleaned all grounds to frame. While doing so I noticed a black tube (filled with wires that go from stator to the cdi) was resting on the metal tab that connects big red wire to frame ground - this is located just behind and left of battery

- I noticed corrosion on the tab and looked up on the black tube and noticed it was burnt through!

-I unplugged from cdi and pulled it out from the front so I had more slack and could pull it through to where it connects to the stator.

- Noticed another larger hole beside that and sure enough BOTH brown ground wires were burnt right through!

- Yellow wires were still intact which is why when I had done the stator resistance test a couple days earlier nothing looked out of place

Over the moon that I have successfully sorted this out as I am living in the Northern Canadian bush with no access to a mechanic. When I can get to a mechanic in a week or so I am having the wiring replaced and repaired "properly" (don't trust my solder and electrical tape job to hold for long)

Again thank you to OPT and this amazing community and I hope this helps someone in the future. I am "no mechanical at all" and if I could fix this - anyone with basic motor skills, a multimeter, soldering iron, electrical tape and a socket set can too!

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Now you can cancel that appointment to the psychiatrist... Glad you finally found the problem or in your case multiple problems..Glad you said the manual is worth buying as it can help in many cases or at least eliminate some items and point you in the direction to check other things. Playing wiring detective wasn't a job most people or mechanics were fond of including myself.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Now you can cancel that appointment to the psychiatrist... Glad you finally found the problem or in your case multiple problems..Glad you said the manual is worth buying as it can help in many cases or at least eliminate some items and point you in the direction to check other things. Playing wiring detective wasn't a job most people or mechanics were fond of including myself.
Haha, Thank you so much for your patience with my naive question! Cheers.