Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Scrambler: Reverse ligth when in H

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Scrambler: Reverse ligth when in H

Hey guys,

Bought a 2002 scrambler 500 4x4 that had a bunch of electric add-ons added (heated grips, heated thumb, winch, etc). I also noticed that my left grip buttons include a start button. I can only assume that the PO used a grip from an older Scrambler that had a start button because it does nothing (it starts with the key). He also installed a speedometer from a different year scrambler (but it doesn't work).

Anyway, whey I bought it the dash plates were replaced by a home made one that had the choke, thumb warmer switch and key (no indicator lights). I went ahead and ordered a new dash,

When I installed and plugged it though, I noticed that while the Reverse and neutral gears would light up properly, the reverse light would also turn on while in forward gear.

What's going on? Could it be because of something the PO futzed with? Or some other known problem?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the wiring on the gear position sensor on the gear case(item#18) and also what the previous owner did to the wiring at the dash lights. Reverse wire is usually purple,brown is ground. You can pull the switch up and check that the plastic lever switches are ok,not damaged also.

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Scrambler: Reverse ligth when in H-17cf91c80c677f8dda0799b4d58c4ac89ff950c4.png  
Old 05-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check the wiring on the gear position sensor on the gear case(item#18) and also what the previous owner did to the wiring at the dash lights. Reverse wire is usually purple,brown is ground. You can pull the switch up and check that the plastic lever switches are ok,not damaged also.
When you say the switch, do you mean the sensor (#18)?

UPDATE: Turns out the HI/LOW beam switch that is on there is actually a Chinese replacement identical to this:

There is no override button so I assume that PO bypassed it somehow. Could that by part of the issue?

Old 05-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

No the the actual gear position switch on the gear case.. It's not a sensor.It has plastic levers that can break or stick. Plus check its wiring and connections. The PO was nuts or too cheap to use oem parts. To repair his screw ups and to understand what wires go where ,the cheap 5 buck service manual can help with trouble shooting guides,electrical tests and wiring diagrams.2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download