Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer 250 starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer 250 starting problem

I have recently got a 2000 Polaris trailblazer 250 2 stroke. It did not run when I got it then I cleaned the carb.It started on starting fluid then I could drive it around the yard and then after I shut it off it would not start by itself again.So I took the carb apart and cleaned it several times and that didn't work.Bought a rebuild kit for it and it still doesn't work.I cleaned the carb again,fresh fuel, new plugs. I would buy a new carb for it but can not find one for it anywhere. It also has been revving really high while just idling.So any help or advise would be helpful,this us my first two stroke.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check compression before you go any further.. Revving up could be from leaking crank seals,intake manifold leaks, lean jetting,base gasket leaking,etc.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default looking for a wiring diagram 91 TB 250

I recently bought a pretty beaten up old 91' TB 250 and I had to replace the ignition along with a ton of other items but some jackass who had this before me had cut two of the 4 ignition wires and left them disconnected. I have no idea why. Also, the two wires coming out of the right handlebar throttle assy were cut off as well. I need a wiring diagram to figure out where these wires go....the schematics from polaris's website dont show wiring connections or tubing vent line or fuel line connections either which is pretty annoying. I believe I finally have those sorted out but i need help with the wiring. The tricky part with this ATV is it has NO STARTER or battery, it is recoil only. So if you see a diagram with a battery on it, it's the wrong one. The ignition switch does have 4 wires though which I am baffled by.

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only model that didn't have an electric starter was an 87 Cyclone 250. All the other 85-91models had electric starters. You can see the starter block off plate on the Cyclone engine case. Item #17 in the thumbnail. Someone may have bought a cap off plate if you do have a 91 model to do away with the starter? Oryou just may have the Cyclone. Here's a manual that has the wiring diagrams. Hard to find a stand alone Cyclone manual but the manual includes models from 85-95. https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....service-repair

Attached Thumbnails Trailblazer 250 starting problem-53fd366c55d680cc1d30f3bde5d6a62847b63fb3.png  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

well that shouldn't surprise me I suppose. It would explain some of the discrepancies I have found over and over with this bike. The Frame serial number definitely identifies it as a 91 TrailBlazer (W917221) but you are correct it does have a block off plate on the bottom of the crank case and everything else in the diagram you sent seems identical including the odd location of the oil pump delivery on the lower intake manifold. I spent alot of time trying to figure out why there was no connection on the carb. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default follow up

[QUOTE=old polaris tech;3361272]Only model that didn't have an electric starter was an 87 Cyclone 250. All the other 85-91models had electric starters.

Attached Thumbnails Trailblazer 250 starting problem-capture.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unless you have some odd ball that the engine was changed or a block off added or your list is wrong. Polaris ATV Parts 1991 W917221 TRAIL BLAZER STARTING MOTOR ASSEMBLY Diagram Plus even the Polaris Parts catalog lists a starter for the 91 Trail Blazer..http://parts.polarisind.com/browse/Browse.asp

Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not really sure which is the case. the Polaris Service manual is what I took that screen shot from. I know for 1991 they made two versions of the Trail Blazer, one that was referred to as the "Trail Blazer" and another one as the "Trail Blazer 2x4" which had a different model number and included a starter. In looking through this service manual I think I have the right one. It doesn't appear to have ever been wired for a starter and it definitely has the square tube frame which I believe they stopped using in the late 80s. Based on what I've read about these 250's it is entirely possible however that someone fried the original motor and replaced it with this one. Not sure I believe that though because whoever owned this thing before me was pretty clueless based on all the things wrong with it. Who actually waits til all three motor mounts break to finally retire the bike and sell it??

Regardless I finally got the wiring all sorted out and I have spark so I am moving onto the next steps of reassembling everything and firing it up. And I of course had to replace the mounts, inner clutch cover, recoil starter and a bunch of other stuff....I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only one model Trail Blazer W917221 is referenced in the Polaris Parts catalog and ever online site I've looked at.Unless this is one that was made for export,or for something else,I don't know.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

It has 110 lbs of compression.And it blows my finger of the plug hole when cranking.