Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sportsman 500 leaking from water pump weep hole.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Sportsman 500 leaking from water pump weep hole.

My 2002 Sportsman 500 has an oil leak from the weep hole under the water pump cover. It looks like it drained the entire crankcase onto the floor. I understand about the seal and it needs a special tool to remove and replace the seal.

I have spoke to a shop and was told it would be about 250 for labor plus the cost of parts. I have not been able to find the tool yet to see how much it would be.

Has anyone done this yourself? Or was it just easier to pay someone to do it? My other option is to buy a newer ATV as this one is 15 years old. But it does has less then 1000 miles and less then 300 hours on it.

Thanks
Mike

Old 05-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S10V84Speed
My 2002 Sportsman 500 has an oil leak from the weep hole under the water pump cover. It looks like it drained the entire crankcase onto the floor. I understand about the seal and it needs a special tool to remove and replace the seal.

I have spoke to a shop and was told it would be about 250 for labor plus the cost of parts. I have not been able to find the tool yet to see how much it would be.

Has anyone done this yourself? Or was it just easier to pay someone to do it? My other option is to buy a newer ATV as this one is 15 years old. But it does has less then 1000 miles and less then 300 hours on it.

Thanks
Mike
There are several posts on line about people that have used screw drivers,picks and pliers to pull the w/p seal out. Don't do as they have done or you risk the chance of bending this shaft. Then it really gets expensive to have to split the engine to replace the combo oil pump/water pump shaft. A puller on ebay is 160 bucks. The cheapest I've found is $110.http://www.rvservicetools.com/online...&category_id=9 Considering it's a one time use tool for most people it's kinda prohibitive for most people to buy one.What you can do is strip it down to the seal,take the machine to a dealer and let him pull the water pump seal. You can pull the oil seal yourself at home with a drywall screw or pick.Install the new seal over the shaft and seat it with a small punch. Find a deep socket the same size as the w/p seal that clears the shaft and seat it.I've pulled seals for folks and charged them 15 bucks or so while they were in the parking lot. They did the rest of the work. That may not be the case today at a lot of shops,but you can ask..