Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 EFI TPS

Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 EFI TPS

I have been chasing an idle problem on my 2004 Sportsman 700 EFI.

Finally found out it's the connector going to the throttle position sensor, verified the idle going crazy when I touched and moved around the harness and connector.

I had issues with the t-bap harness a while and put one of the OTB kits on it. Went over to their site and the only TPS harness they have has a flat connector, mine is in the shape of a triangle.

Any ideas suggestions on this one? Checked the web pretty good and I can find the triangle shaped connector sensor I can't find a harness. The only harness I see is with the 3 pins inline.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First year model on the efi for the 700 Sportsman and it being a one piece unit,Otb doesn't have a repair harness that goes past the tps connector.Just not enough call for them I guess.This place probably has the connector needed and possible you can install new wiring as long as you've verified that the problem isn't in the tps connector itself.If that's the case you'd need a new tps sensor also or new male and female connectors for both harness ends.Motorcycle Connectors

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman 700 EFI TPS-e7b4e33218bfbdf7b3a8d5f520e5d6e0.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT! I believe I found the correct connector from the place you suggested.

On a side note is the 2004 EFI 700 a problem machine? Seems like I've had several issues with it.

We also own a 2000 Sportsman 500 that has been bullet proof! Almost 5K miles and no major issues.

The 700 only has 1200 miles on it at this point. Would it be wise to dump this and get something else? I start reading about cranks and such going bad and I get nervous.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Once you solve the thin wiring harness and connector problem for the sensors that ALL the efi models had,the 700 is a good machine. Some earlier models did have crank problems but on the whole were good machines.Plenty of them still running around. Yes the Sportsman 500 was a good,tough machine also,really the best of the Fuji engines imo.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT, I appreciate all your input!

On a side note I went on a ride today, didn't get my connector parts yet so once it was running good I used some electrical tape and gave it a good wrap. Ran great all day.

Had another question. Was riding some VERY steep rocky terrain today. I had a loud squealing noise (sounded like a loose fan belt on an old car) it was only momentary and it would do if for a few seconds at a time. This was happening while in high and going down a steep area with a lot of pressure on the front end. Never noticed this noise before today. May have been when the rear wheels had little contact with the ground? Such as going around a curve on a steep decent? It also sounded like it was coming from the front. Hard to say for sure though.

I have to say this machine makes a lot of noises I'm not used to hearing on the older Sportsman 500. Mostly the oil pump ticking and the drive train clunking. Both are said to be "normal" from my research.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Noise could be from the front diff or more than likely the one way bearing in the front clutch squealing.If you haven't changed diff fluid in awhile I'd do that plus not a bad idea to check for side to side play on the one way bearing along with the belt for any burnt or glazed spots that could be causing the noise.If the one way has a lot of side to side play it's probably time to replace the fiber and metal washer along with replacing the guide buttons if worn. The ticking noise is usually from the hydraulic lifters and push rods.Yes drive train clunking is normal for the most part when starting out. If it continues while driving,a cv joint could be worn and clacking.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now that you mention the belt I did have a moment yesterday where I was wedged against a stump. Didn't realize it was stuck until I throttled it and got the dreaded smell of the belt smoking!

Don't recall hearing the noise until after that. Maybe I glazed the belt juar enough to make it squeal?

Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Where there's smoke there's a glazed,burnt belt in most cases.Low range is your friend also in slow riding conditions and under a load.Had a chart on the wall at the shop showing 8 ways a belt could be destroyed. 7 of them were because of the operator..

Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I figured a new belt would not be a bad investment at this point.

Quick question for you. I's it normal for it to look like that on the edge? (White cord showing)

Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes this is normal.