Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1995 Polaris 300 4x4 White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chris16371

I read that a sign of low compression is the ability to roll the wheeler back and forth easily while in gear, mine does this.
You can't tell on cvt clutch system as the engine isn't turning over while in gear when you push it. Just the machines that have manual clutches.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok, thank you. Puts my mind at ease bc in high gear it will just keep rolling.

If I do need to rebuild the top end would there be any benefit to buying oversized or should I stick with 74.5? If so how oversized should I go and would there need to be any modification? I see the kits don't come with cylinder sleeves, will I need to buy one? I'm going to check for a head gasket leak today, just something I can eliminate before the compression gauge arrives.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Always have the cylinder measure for the next over size piston needed that will clean up the cylinder. Rarely can you ever install a std size piston and get away with it. That's why they make up to 2 mm over size piston kits.Product Search Engine For All Products - Wiseco Piston Inc.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I did a compression test and only 50psi and 80psi with recoil starter. Hard start the first of the day and then it will start with just one or 2 cranks of starter the rest of day. Power seems good but once I go up a hill it will become to much and die on me then hard start again then be fine. Would the big leak I have in the exhaust manifold cause the low compression?

Update: put some oil into cylinder and jumped up to 80psi with electric starter

I guess it's pretty obvious that I need a new top end. What size Wiseco piston do I need to buy? This is new to me so I have no idea what I need to get but I know they sell complete top end kits on eBay, just need to know the size. Then hopefully a local dealer can hone the cylinder.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by chris16371
. What size Wiseco piston do I need to buy? This is new to me so I have no idea what I need to get but I know they sell complete top end kits on eBay, just need to know the size. Then hopefully a local dealer can hone the cylinder.
On that you have to measure the cylinder to see what over size piston is needed to clean the bore. It may have been bored once before. Look at the piston to give you an idea. If it has there will be a .25, .50,etc on the top depending on what brand piston was installed.Or it may be a stock Polaris piston. Stock bore was 74.5mm/2.935 inches. Most shops can measure this for you. Get the Wiseco piston they recommend and let them have it so they can bore and finish hone to correct clearance. No more than .002 piston to cylinder clearance.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
On that you have to measure the cylinder to see what over size piston is needed to clean the bore. It may have been bored once before. Look at the piston to give you an idea. If it has there will be a .25, .50,etc on the top depending on what brand piston was installed.Or it may be a stock Polaris piston. Stock bore was 74.5mm/2.935 inches. Most shops can measure this for you. Get the Wiseco piston they recommend and let them have it so they can bore and finish hone to correct clearance. No more than .002 piston to cylinder clearance.
Thank you. I was going to order from eBay to save a little money but probably won't be that much of a difference. They would probably charge more for bore and hone if I didn't order the piston from them anyways.

I was able to get the piston apart without the pin puller, luckily I didn't lose anything in the bottom and didn't damage rod gently taping out with a 3/4" extension.

Once I examined piston (even though I didn't know what I was looking for) I found that half of the bottom ring was gone and the was some chips in the one side of the piston.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just take the cylinder and old piston to a dealer or machine shop and find out what over size piston kit you need to order. Make sure the bottom end is clean,flush it out with kerosene or a little diesel. Check for any up and down play on the rod. If there is any play,a rod kit will have to be installed. If no up and down play roll the rod around to check for any rough feeling or noisy crank bearings.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just take the cylinder and old piston to a dealer or machine shop and find out what over size piston kit you need to order. Make sure the bottom end is clean,flush it out with kerosene or a little diesel. Check for any up and down play on the rod. If there is any play,a rod kit will have to be installed. If no up and down play roll the rod around to check for any rough feeling or noisy crank bearings.
I'll check all that, I did roll the rod and everything felt really smooth and it looks really clean, at least what I could see. Is there a drain plug for the bottom end? Jw bc the bottom is still attached so if not I'm assuming I'll have to remove it in order to get the kero or diesel out?

Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

10 mm drain bolt at the bottom of the engine case.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

10 mm drain bolt at the bottom of the engine case.
Thanks again Sir. One last question for now. I'm having some issues finding the service tools I need and was wondering if you knew who I could contact for them. If they are not able to be found anymore is there other tools I can use?

Since I already have the piston apart I only need 2 tools I believe. Piston Pin Keeper Installation Tool (PN-2870773) and Piston Support Block (PN-2870390)