Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Battery Keeps Going Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New Battery Keeps Going Dead!

I just put a new battery in my predator 500 and it is already did after a week. What am I doing wrong. I bought the quad last year and didn't seem to have this problem last year. Does the key and the Run switch both have to be off. Because I have been just turning the key off. Is there a lead off the magneto and relay or something that charges the quad when it running?

Old 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check voltage at the battery while at an idle. Should be showing around 14 volts or so.If it just show battery voltage (12 volts) usually it's a faulty regulator. Shows to be mounted under the battery box,item#28. You can also do a resistance check on the yellow stator wires leading to the regulator. Should be some small resistance between each one and no yellow should short to ground. If it is charging correctly have the battery load tested. Not that unusual to have a bad one right out of the box that wont hold a charge. You don't have to switch the emergency kill switch to the off position.Plus could be as simple as cleaning the regulator connectors and use a little electrical grease.

Attached Thumbnails New Battery Keeps Going Dead!-bf0230e3e6d1b82be6e679abae44dcc38a13c94a.png  
Old 08-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I will check that out. I hope its just the voltage regulator.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

Well a meter would have gone a long way. Found out my new battery is bad. Will not charge all the way. I sent it back an ordered a better quality maintenance free battery by YUASA and followed directions for filling and charging. Took it off charger today and had Just over 13 volts on the battery with my meter. Installed it in quad and fired it up. I had just over 15 volts with it running. I believe I am good to go.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gobigparts
Found out my new battery is bad. Will not charge all the way. I sent it back an ordered a better quality maintenance free battery by YUASA and followed directions for filling and charging.
I had stacks of "new" batteries right out of the box that I had picked up every couple months or so for recycling. Very few were Yuasa or Interstate which in my opinion were the best batteries we sold.Bike Master was a good one also. Most people didn't want to believe me at the shop unless I showed them on the load tester on their batteries. Keep a check on the charging rate as you kinda getting at the limit. May be because it's a new one. Should stay around 14-14.5 on average.