Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bought a 06 450 with ecm issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bought a 06 450 with ecm issues

So I scored an 06 sportsman 450, for $500.
I knew about a lot of the issues with this machine before I bought it, but there was no way I was passing it up.
Buddy who I bought it from, got sick of the electrical issues. Kept killing batteries, etc.
He did the recall for the ecm back in 2008, but I am about 100% sure it's junk again.
I charged the battery up, and turned the key, and nothing at all happens. No lights, no clicks, nothing at all.
So I call the polaris dealer, and tell them the ecm that was replaced is shot, and they tell me that they haven't heard anything about the replacements being bad. I have read all over about people putting 3 of these things in before getting it to work.
So, a few questions.
Does this sound like your typical dead ecm?
Should the dealer have to warranty the part, due to it being a safety recall?
I can pick one up for $150, but does it need to be flashed to the bike by the dealer anyways?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This dealer is full of it... I've had to replace multiple US made Sure Power ecms on the same machines that have failed. Dealers will only replace the Chinese ecm on a one time basis. Any other failures are out of the owners pockets. Key on,no power,lights,etc,sounds like another one has failed. All the circuit breakers and several other functions are controlled by this box. Don't over look the battery if it's been constantly drained down. Have it load tested if in doubt to its condition.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, will do. Thanks.
Do you know if it needs to be flashed/programmed to the bike? Or is it just plug and play?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just plug and play. Have the battery disconnected first before you install a new one. As an extra check you can also see if the switch has power on the red or red/black wire to eliminate it being a switch problem.Also the speedo will have one voltage on one wire at all times for memory. If the switch doesn't have power then sounds most likely that another ecm has failed.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

It's ALIVE!
New ECM came today. About 20 mins later, hit the key, and it fired right up.
Now the real question, is how long before this one fails?
Still, couldn't be happier. I have $150 into the ECM, and another $14 for a tie rod. Next is fluid changes, and grease it up.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some ECMs last for years and years. Some don't. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 AM
Pro Rider

I will say, that I'm having a hard time understanding why polaris hasn't gotten to the bottom of this issue. Thousands of the sportsmans out there, and youre telling me that they dont have some rocket doctor working there that can figure out this problem already?! Ive been a true polaris fan with atvs, and snowmobiles, but after this, things may have to change.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Powerranger262
I will say, that I'm having a hard time understanding why polaris hasn't gotten to the bottom of this issue. Thousands of the sportsmans out there, and youre telling me that they dont have some rocket doctor working there that can figure out this problem already?! Ive been a true polaris fan with atvs, and snowmobiles, but after this, things may have to change.
Find a later model... 2009 models they went back to a plain old regulator/rectifier.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Very true, and I understand that. But, with how many of these things have burnt up, I guess I would figure they would have came up with a solution for the owners of them.
Just venting a little.
Thank you guys for your help though, I appreciate it.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Powerranger262
But, with how many of these things have burnt up, I guess I would figure they would have came up with a solution.
This is from what I had to go through.
Polaris sent a "test kit" that comprised of really nothing more than a load tester for the Chinese ecms. If they passed the load test,you placed a green dot on the ecm and sent it on it's way. After doing dozens and dozens of these from all the maxchines we sold along with machines from other dealers,they came out with the bulletins to change them all.. I changed ALL the Chinese ecms that came into the shop and then started having random machines coming back that had problems on the US made modules.Then more and more machines came in and Polaris said it would only honor a one time replacement. That was their solution to the ecm problem..