Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 335 upgrades...Honda vs. Polaris...B.S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 05:59 PM

First of all I'm a newbe and this is a great site...anyway I got a '99 335 Sportsman and it is way to gutless for me...I've added a K&N filter is all but that did nothing but change the sound.. Are there any good aftermarket exausts for the 335?? I know there's alot of things for the 500 (which I wish I got in the first place)..I've got it going 45 mph on a straight away, but going up any slope it goes about 20-25 mph. All I want is more power..I try not to compare it to my 2000 400EX...so I don't. Also, what's up with all this hatred on this site?? Honda vs. Polaris etc. Anyway thanks, Drew

------------------

Old 10-14-1999, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Padzz,first off,when climbing hills with any type of moderate to steep incline,ALLWAYS use Low range.I own the 99 500cc Sportsman.I would'nt want the 335cc after riding the big 500cc,but it was your choice and now your stuck with it.As for mods to that model?Im not sure.Try what I said,drop the ole boy down to Low range,it'll make a hell of a differance.Good Luck------BILL

Old 10-14-1999, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something else you might try. If your machine has EBS, you can convert to non-EBS, which of course means the clutches and belt will now freewheel when you let off the gas. This mod will probably cost you at least $300. I can't even guarantee it will do much for you, but I do know this. My '97 Explorer 500, without EBS has a top speed of 63MPH, with everything factory original, (according to the speedometer). I have heard that newer EBS equipped Sportsman 500,s will only run 49 - 55 MPH top speed. Our Polaris dealer will not order any more 335's because they are too underpowered for that heavy of a machine.

Good luck. You may have to resort to shaving weight. Aluminum wheels would be a start.

Old 10-14-1999, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know what mods there are for your quad, but I do agree there is alot of hate going around in here. But it just shows who is loyal to their brand. And for someone to be loyal to a brand, the brand must have been loyal to them. I'm Polaris all the way. Hey I bet you can get a pipe for that 335 that would be an excelent way to start

Old 10-15-1999, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

HighLifter may have a Power Kit for that bike, they do for the 500. Jets, pipe, etc. That machine is (and always has been) underpowered. I’m real surprised it made it into the Polaris 2000 line-up. My dealer told me he thought they were going to drop it (as they should, in my opinion). Some on this (the old) forum like their 335s just fine but they have to be riding far different than I do.

HighLifter is at 800-699-0947

It’s easy to get fired up about the brand-blind loyalist and their bigotry against Polaris but the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. Otherwise you just end up wasting a lot of emotional energy and otherwise useful space on the forum. Ignore them and they may not go away all together but they’ll have far less presence.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 10-16-1999, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

PADZZ2
A friend of mine has a SP 500 and a SP335. He recently ordered a K&N Power kit which includes bigger jets, filter, outer screen, and everything to clean and service the filter. He ordered from Dennis Kirk and they were backordered. He has received the kit for the 500 and installed it and he felt like it made quite a difference. If the 335 reacts the same to this kit it should really inprove the performance. He is also looking into pipes for the 335. I'll post again when he gets the kit for the 335 to let you know how well it works.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 10-16-1999, 07:02 PM

Thanks Ronnie...and as far as the one who posted about the EBS...no I don't have it...