Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need help with uncle's Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I'm definatly treading on new ground posting in the Polaris forum but here goes. My uncle questioned me this weekend on a couple problems he is having with his Polaris 4X4 and since I'm a strictly Honda man all I could do was offer some hopeful opinions. I'll try to remember everything while writing here and maybe someone can offer some educated and knowledgebul help.

As best I can remember he has an '85 4X4 2-stroke Polaris ? (I'm not familiar with polaris well enuf to know names)but anyway...
He is having two probs. First one is this. When putting it in reverse the machine simply dies. He made the comment that it sounded like an electrical problem. I offered this suggestion. Maybe something has gone awry in the overide switch for reverse. I'm not real familiar with this things operation but it sounds reasonable enuf. If it is the problem what would he have to do to fix it?

Second... When putting it into high 4X4 works fine but for some reason in low the light won't come on and it won't engage. Any suggestions here? I thought maybe loose linkage but I don't know how the switch works.
Well, if you know a fix for either of these problems please let me know. I'd sure like to help him get his machine back on the trail even if it IS a Polaris ;-) TIA!

------------------
Chris "Tat dain't no darn mudhole, tat's a wadder puddle" Pyle

ICQ me for a quick response!

Old 10-15-1999, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Tell unk I'm not real familar with older ones,but newer ones where shift lever attaches there is a box.In this box is a switch that controls that light.Sometimes the little tip will break and cause you to lose 4x4 plus light.When you shift it moves and lights lites.Hope this helps.
COB

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 10-14-1999).]

Old 10-15-1999, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

If the 4 x 4 switch is like mine if water and dirt get in it that switch will intermit work. Sometimes you get 4 X 4 and sometime 4 X 2

Old 10-17-1999, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Ask your uncle if it will die in reverse with the override button pushed in, if it continue to runs it will probaly be the reverse limiter or a short in the wiring.

If you give me the style and size of the quad I will look it up in the service manual and try to point you in the right direction.

Old 10-18-1999, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, thought I had posted the size. I'm still not sure what type it is. All I know is its a 250 2-stroke. I'll try to get a hold of him to ask him to try pushing in the rev limiter in reverse. thanks.

------------------
Chris "Tat dain't no darn mudhole, tat's a wadder puddle" Pyle

ICQ me for a quick response!