Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 magnum 325 engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 magnum 325 engine questions

I may be looking at a 2001 magnum 325 in the near future but had some questions about the motor before I decide to take the trip to look. It's a clean machine with brand new rear tires, great plastic and has a winch and bumper package on it. The bad part is, the poor little 325 is toast because of a bad oil line and it needs a complete rebuild. The guy who has it took the motor out of the chassis and did a tear down. Everything is clean and meticulously labeled and I do have a shop manual for this model so assembly won't be an issue. The question I have is, how available is parts for this motor? I did a quick search online and was disappointed in the lack of choices for stuff like the crank, bearings and rod. Even the piston was kind of an anomaly. The reason I am asking is, I can get this machine for next to nothing. When an engine sizes up, it becomes an expensive nightmare to most people who rely on taking it to a shop to repair a 16 year old machine that may only be worth 1500 buck in tip top shape. Is it beat to pass on it as it is a part machine or is there somewhere else I should be looking for parts that I am not doing right now?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This can be an expensive repair if the crank journal is beyond being able to be turned for new rod bearings.This set up is like a car crank shaft. You have to have a good machine shop that knows what they're doing along with the clearance specs on the crankshaft bearings and rod play from the manual for them to use.Sometimes it's easier to get a new crank shaft,but it's around 580 bucks not including a rod if needed and std bearings. Plus the top end and if it needs to bored and honed to the next over size.I can see around 800-900 bucks there with you doing the assembly work.After everything is said and done,doesn't sound like too much profit after you get it in running condition. I've had to do several of these before they had the updated oil line kits(couple under warranty)that had oil lines blown off,engines fried and ended up just ordering new cranks.Polaris ATV Parts 2001 A01CB32AA MAGNUM 325 2X4 CRANKSHAFT and PISTON Diagram

Old 10-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

That's what I kinda figured, that it wouldn't be cost effective to rebuild like a two stroke. I have done quite a few engine builds on cars and smaller tractors but usually the vehicle I'm rebuilding the engine for is worth the money I am sticking into the rebuild. After buying this machine and the gas to go get it along with what I would have stuck into the rebuild, I will be probably around or over a 1000 bucks. Not much room to play with on a two wheel drive machine that I can buy running and in decent shape for a fee hundred bucks more, lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes I'd pass on this one. Not much money to be made on these entry level 4 strokes unless you picked one up in running condition at a cheap price.