Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Project 2006 Sportsman 500 efi

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project 2006 Sportsman 500 efi

Hello, new member here. I've owned Polaris machines since the late nineties and presently have a 2004 1/2 Fiftieth Anniversary Edition 500 that I bought new, and now I drug home a 2006 Sportsman 500 efi. The 2004 has all new bushings, axles, wheel bearings, tires, and runs great. The 2006 was bought cheap as a project. It idles great but bogs quickly under throttle. The guy that sold it to me said that it just never got used, so I'm hoping that it is a gas issue. I put a good slug of Seafoam in the gas and ran it as hard as I could on Sunday afternoon. It straightened up a bit but started bogging down again after about seven miles of riding. I limped it back to the house and put some fresh gas in it along with another good slug of Seafoam. I had cataract surgery yesterday so I'm working a little lopsided today with just one functional eye. No wrench twisting for a few days, at least. I watched some videos pertaining to the fuel system and decided to r&r the fuel pump, pressure regulator, filter, and injector as I assume that ethanol gas has worked on the hoses, etc. I got those ordered this morning. I went out and disconnected the battery for about a minute to let the ECM dump then hooked it back up and went for a ride. It tried to bog down but I kept pushing it and got the best speed yet, which isn't great at about thirty mph.

I don't really think that there is a camshaft issue, but no more than they cost, I'm not opposed to putting a cam in it while I have all of the plastic out of the way. The machine has 330 hours and 2900 miles on it. I was told that it was serviced. If so, I would find it hard to believe that the cam is worn out already. Can someone please describe how they behave when the cam is worn.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hard to start.backfires, not think 2006 has had any camshaft problem in my area, I wouldcheck fuel pressure, compression,plug,charging system

Old 03-07-2021, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update. While tinkering around with it the other day I noticed the sticker on right front of the frame. Manufacture date 09/08/2006. I thought to myself that the guy that sold it told me wrong. I came in to the computer and ran the VIN number. It is a 2007. I don't think that makes much difference when shopping for parts but I will at least enter the correct year when shopping.
The fuel pump kit arrived on Friday. I pulled the plastics and fuel tank. The contraption that I pulled out of the tank appears to be someone's Rube Goldberg of a fix. The replacement pump was about a half inch longer so I didn't even bother to open the plastic bag. I took the old contraption apart and cleaned everything as best I could and reinstalled it, thinking that I would just order a new aftermarket pump. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one. After sleeping on it, I think that I have figured out how to make the kit work after all. It certainly would be nice if they included some instructions and a half dozen pictures with the kits for us slow learners.
While I had every thing off, I went ahead and pulled the valve cover. I found the exhaust rocker arms to be a little snug, one intake was about right and the other one was sloppy loose. After adjusting the valve lash I cranked it over several times to see if the exhaust lobes were still there. It looked pretty good, so that is a relief that I won't have to drop another hundred bucks for a cam. I pulled the fuel injector and rigged up a cheap and easy injector cleaner. I found that a six volt lantern battery was sufficient to open the injector solenoid. Several squirts of carburetor cleaner had the injector working fine so I reinstalled it. I have a new one on order that will go in the spare parts bin. The new fuel filter arrived yesterday. I hate trying to open those clips where there is no room to work. It took about twenty minutes to get the old filter out and about a minute to put the new one in. It appears that the filter had never been changed since the machine was built.
While fussing with the filter, I looked down to see that the right side A arm had taken a hell of a hit. The front tube was bent back to within about two inches of touching the rear tube. I could probably straighten it but decided to just order a new one. That explains the broken plastic and missing headlight on the right side. The front wheel is lined up pretty good or I might have noticed that problem sooner. Bad eyesight is not your friend when deciding whether or not to purchase a machine.
I put it all back together and primed the fuel system. It runs good now. I took it up to about forty mph then backed down as I had no eye protection over my less than a week old new lens in my eye. I parked it and came into the house and started ordering the new plastic, a headlight assembly, and all the suspension bushings. It looks like I'll only have about $2100 in the project until the CV boots start giving out. Not bad!