Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 500

installed new timing chain hard to start..will idle cant rev up backfires timing marks good which way advances timing on stator??

Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You can install the new chain without removing the flywheel and stator plate IF you have the piston at tdc,cam sprocket alignment pin straight up like in the diagram and you DON'T move the flywheel. If the flywheel moves then timing will be off. Then you need to pull the flywheel,stator plate and time by the lower crank sprocket mark. Single plated link goes to the sprocket/case mark,double plated links go to the two dots on the cam sprocket Like shown in these pics. https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250 Also if you pulled the cam out enough to get the sprocket and chain off and on,if you let the decompression device slip off the small spring,the engine will crank and idle,but won't accelerate and will back fire. Look at the diagram on the decompression device..

Attached Thumbnails polaris 500-2011-05-21_125845_00_polaris_500_cam_timing.jpg   polaris 500-ff1tv7.jpg  
Old 10-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for quick reply just curious about installing a new chain without removing the flywheel and stator...how do you get the chain around the crank gear?? i removed flywheel and stator lined mark on crank with mark on case put single silver link on mark put 2 silver links on 2 dots on cam gear and that put dowel in cam inline with the crank mark ..keyway and cam so pretty sure its mechanically times didnt move cam in or out so shouldnt have moved the decomp device it just act like the timing is a tad slow it wants to run ...just needs a kick in the ***....if the rotation is clockwise i should turn the stator plate counter clockwise and should help??? thanks again

Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cole1421
thanks for quick reply just curious about installing a new chain without removing the flywheel and stator...how do you get the chain around the crank gear?? i removed flywheel and stator lined mark on crank with mark on case put single silver link on mark put 2 silver links on 2 dots on cam gear and that put dowel in cam inline with the crank mark ..keyway and cam so pretty sure its mechanically times didnt move cam in or out so shouldnt have moved the decomp device it just act like the timing is a tad slow it wants to run ...just needs a kick in the ***....if the rotation is clockwise i should turn the stator plate counter clockwise and should help??? thanks again
Sorry..Was thinking about replacing the cam only,not the chain.. To begin with you should have marked the stator plate,but you should be able to see where the original screws were at plus the mark on the stator plate and case should be close to one another.One thing that could have happened since you didn't move the cam is that the lower sprocket could have broken the woodruff key. This can throw one out of time,causing back firing as well as a broken flywheel key can do the same thing. The slotted nut on the 500 has a history of backing off and allowing the lower cam sprocket to move and shear keys.I'd check the two woodruff keys out. If they're ok,the slotted nut is tight,I'd still pull the cam cover and inspect the decompression lever and spring. If all of this checks out the problem may not be a mechanical issue but could be an electrical issue.