Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My sportsman build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It really works nice so far. Great for cutting wood and brush.
My wife and two daughters rode around in it last weekend, and had a blast.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my friends hauled his kids in a trailer when they were little. He put seats with seat belts in it, and put a windshield on it too. And he had some kind of tubing to route the exhaust under the trailer and out the back. He took them on trail rides that way. When a forest ranger or DNR officer saw them, he didn't know what to think. There's no law that anyone knows of that says you can't haul people in a trailer. The boys are all grown up and riding sport quads, and now my friend uses the trailer to get wood.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

That's kind of along the lines that I was thinking. I want to get two seats with seatbelts, and be able to bolt them in. The exhaust thing is a great idea also. They were sucking exhaust when I pulled them around the yard on the sled this winter, even with putting a longer rope on the sled. Going to look into getting a stack to temporarily put on it when doing things like that, to see if that helps.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart idea Frank! Get corrugated metal flex pipe and route it under the trailer!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
Smart idea Frank! Get corrugated metal flex pipe and route it under the trailer!
My friend isn't the most educated person but he's a freakin' genius at anything mechanical. He learned from his dad how to jury-rig things and his wife is getting him out of that habit so he does things right. He's good at rebuilding engines on cars and ATVs, and all kids of things. One day when I pulled in with my trailer one of tail lights went out during the trip. The lights were never very bright either. He got under my trailer to fix the light and figured out everything was wired backwards. He re-did the wiring to get it right and now it works great. The lights are brighter than they used to be too.

ETA: The trailer for hauling kids needs a windshield or the ATV needs big mud flaps.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider

Back at it again. Hooked up a voltmeter, I guess just to keep an eye on things, and I like blinky shiny things.

Key off.

Key on.

I bought my HD springs, so whenever I get a chance, I'll be putting those on next.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

Got to put that little trailer to work. It works great. It's just long enough, that it's easy to back up without jack-knifing every second.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Now enjoy all of your hard work.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Needed some tunes. Picked up a Milwaukee jobsite radio for cheap. It's good and loud, and fits the spot perfect. 12 hours runtime on one 18v battery, and can charge my phone off it as well.
I'll be painting it black, so it blends in to the bike a little better.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Moto Psycho

I still have a big old 32 year old ghetto blaster that I took with me on a few rides on my first quad. It runs on 120 VAC and 12 VDC, so instead of putting 8 D batteries in it, I plugged in into the receptacle on the pod. There's a chance they make 12 volt adapters for your radio too. But no matter how tight I tried to bungee it down it still bounced and slid around a little when I hit the bumps. I had a small piece of carpet between it and the rack so my rack wouldn't get scratched up. Ratchet tie-down straps may have worked better than bungees. That old quad didn't have as many places to hook my bungees to as my new one. If it did maybe I could have hooked on just a little farther away. My only other option was to tie knots in my bungees to shorten them, which I don't like doing. It's hard to get the knots back out when they're pulled really tight.

Quick Reply: My sportsman build