Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Nope,gotta go from the top down.. Get a manual before you start.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download

Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Nope,gotta go from the top down.. Get a manual before you start.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download
Thanks for the link OPT.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

Ok - I’m tearing down the engine. Problem is that the cylinder won’t budge. Removed the 2 screws for the oil line, head bolts, and 2 screws on the flywheel side. What am I missing? Don’t want to break anything.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have the head removed along with the two 6mm bolts on the cylinder,it may take a little tapping with a dead blow hammer all around it to help jar it loose while you're pulling up on the cylinder. After being on 18 years the cylinder may take a little persuading.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Range Rover

If you have the head removed along with the two 6mm bolts on the cylinder,it may take a little tapping with a dead blow hammer all around it to help jar it loose while you're pulling up on the cylinder. After being on 18 years the cylinder may take a little persuading.
What about applying a bit of heat?

Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Silly question, can it be tapped from the side of the head?

Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

When separating head or cylinders, the gaskets tend to adhere to the adjoining parts and often require a certain amount of force. I always try to hit with firm, deadblows to reinforced areas and try not to hammer on the sidewalls to prevent any damage. Try hitting right beside where a bolt would be and should feel it start to loosen.
​​​​​​It would take a fair amount of heat on aluminum to do much and should not be required if all bolts are out. Its a bit of knowing and sensing how much force to apply to prevent damage and get the job done.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Range Rover

I bought a deadbolt hammer, and could not get it off. After so much pounding I ended up cracking the cylinder. Which is fine because I’m looking at a rebuild kit that includes a new cylinder. Still can’t get it off though.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Simon Miller
I bought a deadbolt hammer, and could not get it off. After so much pounding I ended up cracking the cylinder. Which is fine because I €™m looking at a rebuild kit that includes a new cylinder. Still can €™t get it off though.
That's too bad about your cylinder. I would suggest next time to check and recheck if things on motors are not moving after a couple firm taps before applying much more force. It's a learning process to get a sense of what force to apply to different materials.

Also, did you remove the cam hold down/caps, cam, chain and chain tensioner?

Isaiah

Last edited by I.b01; 12-03-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Edit spelling
Old 12-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Entire head was removed with no problem. But cylinder won’t come off. I’m worried I now have to pull the entire engine out. Don’t have a flywheel puller - way too much $$$ for a one time job. Was trying to remove cylinder with engine in place. So hard to access all the places where I can hammer.