Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman lighting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman lighting issue

Working on a 2010 sportsman 500ho carb model. Earlier today I had all 3 headlights, I noticed the taillights didn't work at all. So tonight after work I tried replacing one of the taillight bulbs, still didn't work. So i pulled all the fuses, cleaned them and added dielectric grease. Still don't work.
Now I noticed that the headlights don't work either and when I start it up and turn on headlights, it kills the motor. This was not happening before I removed the one rear taillight bulb.
Any ideas where to start? Or anyone have this issue and what was the fix?? Thanks for any help

Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Also battery is recently new and reads 12.7 volts with engine off

Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Just tried wiggling wires etc. I turned the key on and not even the dash would light up. So I pulled all the fuses again and I noticed when I wiggle the fuse second from the left (when sitting on machine) then the dash lights up. If I turn the lights on the dash shuts off. Turn lights off and dash doesn't light back up until I wiggle the fuse. I can also hear a click when i wiggle the fuse and the dash gets power??
Not sure why this all of a sudden started. I found a toggle switch that someone put in under the pod that wasn't plugged in, i followed the wires and one was spliced into the two brown wires going from taillight to taillight and the other was spliced into the two brown wires coming out of the atv harness . Just doesn't make sense to me. I put it back to normal and nothing changes.

I HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lph008
I HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!
Replace this Delphi fuse block with a new one as these are prone to have pins that would corrode over time along with wires pulling out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-ATO-...xVH-MQ&vxp=mtr Or find one that is a little more water resistant would help also.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namz-Water-...VWzVYz&vxp=mtr Either one or even a better one would solve a lot of your problems. Any remaining electrical problems should be able to be easily eliminated.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman lighting issue-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so I cleaned out the fuse box real good with electrical cleaner and compressed air. Dielectric grease and all new fuses. I didn't remove the fuse box. Same issue, buy if I push on the main fuse and keep pressure on it then the speedo lights up and the headlights work. I disconnected the cob job they did with the taillights wired to a toggle switch so im not sure if they work yet.
So I'm ordering a new fuse block, my question here is how do the wires come out of the back of the fuse block? I don't want to screw up the harness

Old 11-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes,just transfer the wires to the new block in the same position they were in.You'll have to crimp the wires to the new fuse holder pins that are supplied.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsman lighting issue-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Ok so do I cut the wires or do they pull out? Sorry for the dumb question, im not at the machine now so I can't look at how the wires are attached to block.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lph008
Ok so do I cut the wires or do they pull out? Sorry for the dumb question, im not at the machine now so I can't look at how the wires are attached to block.
If they're corroded as I suspect they may fall out..Other wise just snip them at the block,strip them to crimp into the new holders.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If they're corroded as I suspect they may fall out..Other wise just snip them at the block,strip them to crimp into the new holders.
That's where diagonal cutting pliers come in handy. You can cut the wires really close to the old fuse block. Cutting wire is about all they're good for. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

Old 11-30-2017, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

So I had a little time before work today and I got the taillight wiring back to normal and now the main fuse works all the time no issues with it at all. all my lights are now working nothing shuts off. I already ordered the new fuse box so I will just wire that in any way. Next project is getting the brakes to work. Both and whatever and whoever had absolutely no resistance that even enough to put the brake lights on. Also missing some parts for foot brake, there is no bottom pin