Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 sportsman 500 driving issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 sportsman 500 driving issues

Picked up a 2000 sportsman 500 today that was used only on a farm. Needs a little tlc but nothing I can't handle. Has the original tires but I have a set of new take offs to replace them with so I'm good there. It sat for the last year after the farm owners bought a side by side. We went and looked at it and put some fresh gas in it and used a jumper box and after a few spins of the starter she fired right up and ran like all the 500's should. No leaks or noises and it was putting out almost 14 volts at idle.

Drives fine and is strong but I have a few issues I want to make sure I am going the right direction on. When turning a tight radius to the left, I get a clunking noise in the back by the left rear wheel. Axle shafts bad? Sounds like when the CV joints are out on a front wheel drive car. I can get a pair of stock ones fairly cheap and it looks like a straight forward replacement so I think I'm good there. Other issue is the four wheel drive. Engages in forward gears but not reverse, even when the reverse override is pushed. The speedometer doesn't register but the miles and trip still show up so I am assuming it's the hall effect sensor.

Aside from these issues, a good clean up, tune up and fluid change is in order and I may just add another 4 stroke to my stable of chattery old 2 strokes, lol.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Here you go again.. Think you pretty well have a handle on it. I'd get a pair of cheap Sixity drive shafts for the rear. Does sound like the hall effect sensor is out. Not having awd in reverse,wouldn't think it's mechanical as in the armature plates,but I've been wrong before.Possible that once you replace the hall effect sensor you might regain awd? I've seen strange things happen with this new style speedo with the built in reverse limiter. I never heard the end of it when I had half the garage filled with cycles years ago. You must have one easy going,patient wife. Better keep her around..

Old 12-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

I do have a pretty forgiving wife, lol.

Now on the rear axles, they just pop out of the transmission like axles do on a front wheel drive car, right? I have axle poppers and also have a slide hammer that I have used on stubborn ones. This thing hasn't been washed since the day it was new so I can imagine everything will be stubborn coming apart, lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hopefully just a couple fast rabbit type jerks will pop the drive shafts out. Just held in by a simple circlip. Here's about as cheap a rear drive shaft that I've seen, 45 bucks.Even cheaper than Sixity drive shafts that I've seen. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Left-R...RYZiLe&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails 2000 sportsman 500 driving issues-986db2249b080c4cf151667ba1f6a7d49cbe5496.png  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I got this old girl all cleaned up so I could check it out good. Definitely needs rear axles and wheel bearings. Transmission fluid wasn't horribly dirty but I still plan on changing it out since I'm doing the axles. What Amsoil type of oil or other brands can I use in it if I can't get my hands on the polaris recommended stuff? I use a wix oil filter and mobile one in the motor. The other issue I found was loose joints on the prop shaft. Do I have to pull the shaft to change out the u joints or is it possible to do it while still mounted to the drivetrain? Lastly, I checked over the speedometer and everything works but doesn't read any speed on the needle. Can I test the hall effect sensor or are they just probe to fail. The wires were all good but the rims and calipers were just packed horribly with mud so the sensor itself was encased in it since it was probably new, lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by cornermike
Well, I got this old girl all cleaned up so I could check it out good. Definitely needs rear axles and wheel bearings. Transmission fluid wasn't horribly dirty but I still plan on changing it out since I'm doing the axles. What Amsoil type of oil or other brands can I use in it if I can't get my hands on the polaris recommended stuff? I use a wix oil filter and mobile one in the motor. The other issue I found was loose joints on the prop shaft. Do I have to pull the shaft to change out the u joints or is it possible to do it while still mounted to the drivetrain? Lastly, I checked over the speedometer and everything works but doesn't read any speed on the needle. Can I test the hall effect sensor or are they just probe to fail. The wires were all good but the rims and calipers were just packed horribly with mud so the sensor itself was encased in it since it was probably new, lol.
Amsoil gear case fluid I suppose is fine to use. Some use it in their atvs and snow mobiles also. Easier to pull the prop shaft. Hard to replace the joints while its installed. Check prices on the u-joints and include your labor. Some said to heck with rebuilding them and replaced the whole prop shaft.Up to you on that one.
We had a hall effect sensor tester at the shop,but 90% of the time when you loose the speedo indicator and mileage,the sensor has shorted.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cornermike

Thanks,
Mike
Hope you were able to get this worked out - as it's back in December! (Your poor wife )

ACV has a good starting point for replacements for all this here for future weekend repairs (or longer than weekend repairs): https://www.americancvstore.com/technical-help