Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can't bleed brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the new rear master cylinder and I can't get any pressure in the pedal I spent 2 hours last night pumping open the bleeder pump open the bleeder but nothing I'm getting drips of fluid out of the bleeder but not a steady stream. no air either. So I left a brick on the pedal overnight then tried the same thing again for another hour today and still no luck

Old 12-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You'll just beat your hands up on this small master cylinder trying to get it to bleed and pump up. You can get a cheap vacuum pump at Harbor Freight,Northern Tool or many auto stores rent them out for a refundable deposit.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have a vacuum pump, forgot to mention I tried that also. I'll eventually get it, juat thought I'd update the progress. Maybe I was missing something. Front lever works great now though.

OPT did you read my other post on the winch contactor issues? Was hoping you could help shed some light on that

Old 12-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lph008
I have a vacuum pump, forgot to mention I tried that also. I'll eventually get it, juat thought I'd update the progress. Maybe I was missing something. Front lever works great now though.
Work the pedal and hold it down as you're pumping the vacuum.Open the bleeder and see if you start to get air and fluid out. These small master cylinders may take a while to get air out and start to build up pressure.When you get it bled and have a firm pedal,use it every now and then to keep the seals soft and pliable and working right. That's usually what happens to them in the first place. People forget about this emergency/assist rear brake pedal until they need it.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

, okay I will try again with the vacuum pump after work tonight thank you opt