Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris

hey guys, I just bought a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 H.O.. I was riding it today and got on the throttle a little bit and the machine popped out of gear. It made a pretty gnarly sound right as it popped out of gear. This bike will not go back into any gear at all. I’ve put in it every gear and it’s like they are all neutral. Is there any thing I should try or just pay someone to rip it apart and find the problem?

Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 2013 Sportsman H.O. and as soon as I bought it I took it to the dealership to get a full service hoping that changing the transmission fluid would help the problem of 'clunking' it INTO gear. Unfortunately they called me back saying this needs a completely new clutch kit. $1200 installed. Then two days later they called back and said it emptied the oil we put in on the shop floor. To repair the crack in the engine housing it is another $1000. I put a new snow plow on it too. I thought I was getting a great deal but because it is classified as High Output it gave the previous owner the green light to ride it all to hell and not take care of it. I hope this isn't the case for you. You can search in the Polaris section and find the link to downloading a service manual for it for like $4.95. (Totally worth it). I practice doing what you can mechanically on your own. I wouldn't attempt a new clutch install myself but the shop charges $25 to change a headlight bulb. Good luck with it cuz I love the Sportsman H.O. anyway and wouldn't want a different model.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake Asay
hey guys, I just bought a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 H.O.. I was riding it today and got on the throttle a little bit and the machine popped out of gear. It made a pretty gnarly sound right as it popped out of gear. This bike will not go back into any gear at all. I’ve put in it every gear and it’s like they are all neutral. Is there any thing I should try or just pay someone to rip it apart and find the problem?
More than likey it's in the shift gears behind the small coveron the outside of the gear case. Common problem if moisture gets in,the compression spring collapses or breaks,gears bind up,etc. Similar gear case to this one on the Sportsman 700 and what this owner had to do. Hard to Shift 700 Sportsman 2004 - Polaris ATV Forum Get a manual!! The manual shows step by step on tear down and assembly. Plus the gears have dots for alignment. If corroded,dots can't be seen, mark the gears can cases for reference.2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 HO 4X4 ATV REPAIR MANUAL

Attached Thumbnails Polaris-07e96e4d4028fad5384876f001961e13563fc136.png  
Old 12-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris

Now that I think about it do y’all think I could’ve broken my belt? The noise did come from the left side of the wheeler and The transmission will go into park but not any other gear. There also isn’t any grinding in the transmission so I think that could be what it is. I’m at work right now and I’m gonna try look as soon as I get home.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That would be the easiest thing to check first. Even if the belt isn't broken or shredded,you can try to turn the rear clutch back and forth (If it isn't stuck) and see if that helps you get the shifter to move. If that doesn't help,then I'd head for the gear shift assy.