Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is this a ground issue on AWD..Xpedtion425

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a ground issue on AWD..Xpedtion425

Troubleshooting an intermittent awd problem on my xpedition,again.
Had the service manual out and was going through the troubleshooting steps.
Unhooked the 6way plug from the speedo and tested C-E wire...12v Check.
Now test B-D wire, this only produces like 8.5v. Is this acceptable? (B) is grounding wire so do I need to investigate the grounding wire(s)?
Ive read about cutting some grounding wires and splicing back, I think? is this where Im heading?

I also noted that when the 6 way plugged is plugged in, slight upward pressure will illuminate the light, while slighty downward pressure will turn it off...
Thanks all

Old 01-21-2018, 07:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On 2000 models and up the awd ground path did go through the speedo and some could regain awd by jumping the brown white(awd ground wire) to a common ground(brown) This bypasses the speedo for the awd ground. Others have found that the long run on these thin wires can loose ground from the switch,to the speedo then to the hubs. They made a common larger ground and solved their problem. Couple videos on the same thing.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooo, I watched those videos and cut each of the brown wires at those plugs and connected a section of wire to make a new ground...
I went from a machine that otherwise ran w/intermittent awd to a machine that doesn't do anything now...
I have a solenoid along the frame (basically right in front of the battery, I dont know if this is stock or something added along the way) Anyways that was clicking occasionally after my attempt at rewiring.
Was I suppose to cut all 4 wires coming out of those plugs and wire them all together with the new ground wire??

Old 01-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleddingfarmer
Was I suppose to cut all 4 wires coming out of those plugs and wire them all together with the new ground wire??
Supposed to cut the two browns(hub grounds) in half. This made a total of 4 wires to tie together. Then you tie the 4 wires to a larger common ground.If you did it correctly this shouldn't have affected any other part of the atv. Sounds like you need to check if po might have done some other things to the atv.