Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found it!

Got a Polaris Ranger here in the UK with a broken accelerator cable.. no big deal after I had a dig round & found it!. Is it common for this amount of mud to get wedged in the transmission tunnel & bury everything?🤔

Old 01-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes on some models the transmission tunnel can be a catch all for mud,branches and sometimes critters and their nests.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes on some models the transmission tunnel can be a catch all for mud,branches and sometimes critters and their nests.
Your not joking! Next issue is figure out how to get the cable off the throttle pedal. Looks like most of the front has to come off. What were the designers thinking?!🤔

Old 01-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The designers,engineers never think about the poor mechanic that has to work on their products. I still think that before they could get their degrees,they would have to get their hands dirty as a lowly mechanic for a while. Maybe they might think about us every now and then.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some parts are easy to get to in the factory when the vehicle is only half built, but after that you've got some serious work on your hands to get to it. When I worked for GM I said that engineers should have to work on all the jobs they designed machines for. It may look good on paper but when you're the one doing the heavy lifting or contortions or whatever it takes, it's a different story. Working on cars is probably worse than building them. Years ago I heard about a Cadillac model where you practically had to take the engine out to change the spark plugs. I was told the engine was sideways and you couldn't reach the bank of cylinders in the back. One guy told me you could leave the front of the engine attached to the car but had to lift the back of it up and rotate it toward the front of the car. That sounds like a real pain but I'm sure there's been much worse designs since then as cars get more complicated.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

You guys are right on the money! easy to get at in assembly but after that.....
Looks like the inner wing (fender) panels come off so might be able to access through there.
Thoughts anyone?

Old 01-24-2018, 02:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes, sounds like the same thing I had to do to get to the brake switch/starter interlock on a couple Rangers. Throttle cable should be in the same general area which would help you on routing a new one through,but you still may have to partially disassemble the throttle assy to get to the cable securing clip. Here's a break down on 2005-2007 Ranger 700xp for example.

Attached Thumbnails Found it!-077006x6.gif  
Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer

Nice one! Thanks Matey!
Just been looking & thinking i may be able to get to where the cable goes through the bulkhead (firewall) if i take out the center switch panel in the dash...
This ones a Diesel if that makes a difference?..
Been talking to a dealer here & his service vans carry then as they fail pretty frequently. Kept his cards close to his chest about how to fit a new one!

Old 01-24-2018, 04:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Haven't replaced one on a later model diesel so that leaves me out.. Retired when the 2011 model atvs and Rangers were out and glad of it. I love being retired.. Hope you can put a little pressure on the guy to help you out..