Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First time post - Looking to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new front differential is the one that makes me wonder how badly this thing was abused. I think I'm starting to see why it was so cheap. A local dealer had a Sportsman 570 for sale for $2500. It had a ton of miles on it though, like around 10,000 or so. I just saw a 2012 Honda Rubicon with eps for sale for $3999 at another dealer. It has 14,335 miles on it.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I would be concerned as to why all those repairs were needed at 110 hrs. I owned a Praire for 16 yrs and used it haed but never abused it. Never had any issues or repairs like you mentioned!
Well, they guy was maybe a scammer? And I agree with you...lots of repairs to a bike that shouldn't have needed it, UNLESS it was abused! All the others went dark....seriously, I was trying to tell the guys, take my cash...but they would not take my calls, or reply to my text messages. They were at one point, but then just stopped. I mean, really, its not that complicated. If it is sold, just say so! lol. Amateurs!

None the less, I found the one I am going to buy, driving tomorrow to pick it up. Spoke to the guys, really nice, and I am excited. Its a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI with 2" lift and Dirt Devil XT (?) tires, front and rear brush guard, winch and aftermarket exhaust. Its black which is cool too.

He mentioned that i might need to replace the ignition switch as it might be going out. He said it was like a $10-20 part. Sound about right?

My question is this, looking at the service manual, it says the bike requires 0W40 oil. Is that correct? How much oil does it take for a filter and change? I ordered a new oil filter and want to change the oil and radiator fluids FIRST thing. Simple insurance. Anything else I should be doing right away?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

2 quarts of oil.Any flavor you want to run,0w40,5w40,10w40*,5w50*,(*warmer climates). Can't go wrong withe Mobil 1 0w40 as it's the most common oil used along with Amsoil 5w40 or even Rotella T6 5w40 which is good full synthetic oil and cheaper than the rest.No favoritism on that last one at all.. OR any name brand synthetic oil within these ranges. Easy way to change oil with out reaching under the engine for the sump plug for 8 ounces of oil is to have the engine warm,drain the oil tank.Leave the old filter on and crank the engine up for 10 seconds Max. Kill it and watch the rest of the oil drain from the tank into the oil pan.Replace the filter and dump 2 quarts into the oil tank. Glad you have the service manual! Ignition switches are pretty cheap on ebay or amazon.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
2 quarts of oil.Any flavor you want to run,0w40,5w40,10w40*,5w50*,(*warmer climates). Can't go wrong withe Mobil 1 0w40 as it's the most common oil used along with Amsoil 5w40 or even Rotella T6 5w40 which is good full synthetic oil and cheaper than the rest.No favoritism on that last one at all.. OR any name brand synthetic oil within these ranges. Easy way to change oil with out reaching under the engine for the sump plug for 8 ounces of oil is to have the engine warm,drain the oil tank.Leave the old filter on and crank the engine up for 10 seconds Max. Kill it and watch the rest of the oil drain from the tank into the oil pan.Replace the filter and dump 2 quarts into the oil tank. Glad you have the service manual! Ignition switches are pretty cheap on ebay or amazon.
awesome information. I have a bunch of 10/40 rotella around for my dirt bikes. Love the tip on the sump plug.

Yea, I’m a huge believer in having the service manual. I like to do all my own service work. Super excited about this new endevour. I have been a MX guy and now that my wife wants to ride with us, I get to play with ATVs. .

I am sure I will have a ton of questions once I get it, so be on the look out.

Cheers

Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the same model ATV I have only a year older. My owner's manual says to always use 2W-50 oil, which I think is only made for Polaris. Any full synthetic with a weight range close to that should be fine. I would use 0W-40 instead of 10W-40 because it gets cold here in the winter, and 0 weight would be better than 10. If it doesn't get cold where you're at then 10W-40 should be okay.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
That's the same model ATV I have only a year older. My owner's manual says to always use 2W-50 oil, which I think is only made for Polaris. Any full synthetic with a weight range close to that should be fine. I would use 0W-40 instead of 10W-40 because it gets cold here in the winter, and 0 weight would be better than 10. If it doesn't get cold where you're at then 10W-40 should be okay.
great point. I am in Florida, it’s 80 now. .

Old 02-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TPA-MX-ATV

great point. I am in Florida, it’s 80 now. .
5W-50 would be better for your ATV in the summer.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I thought I have 5W...but I have 15W. I can always buy more...

Thoughts?

Old 02-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

So, here is another twist my ATV Saga.

Which bike would be better:
  1. 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI with 85 hours, low miles. Some aftermarket tires, brush guards, winch, etc. Title
  2. 2013 Sportsman 500 HO (no EFI), with 300 hours, approx. 3k miles. Same aftermarket parts, but has better wheels. Snorkled...which I would want to undo. Is that possible, hard to do, or very costly?
Both are about the same $$.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TPA-MX-ATV
So, here is another twist my ATV Saga.

Which bike would be better:
  1. 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI with 85 hours, low miles. Some aftermarket tires, brush guards, winch, etc. Title
  2. 2013 Sportsman 500 HO (no EFI), with 300 hours, approx. 3k miles. Same aftermarket parts, but has better wheels. Snorkled...which I would want to undo. Is that possible, hard to do, or very costly?
Both are about the same $$.

Thanks for a quick reply.
Personally, when I've bought used I tried to avoid the ones that had modifications. The abuse machines can take from regular trail conditions is bad enough. Add highly angled CV joints (lift kits), and a machine purposely spending most its time in mud are warning lights to me.

Quick Reply: First time post - Looking to pull the trigger