Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.

My 570 has four different lubricant fluids, engine oil, demand drive, transmission and gearcase.

What would be off the shelf equivalents instead of buying the expensive Polaris branded fluids? For instance engine oil I get a high quality 5-50 from the local parts store.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

I just did a lot of research on this and you will find several different answers based on who you responds. Since this is my first Polaris, I just went with the Polaris brand oils. I was lucky to have found a Polaris dealership about 10 minutes from my house. Their prices were actually cheaper than Amazon!

This will be the first oil/tranny fluid change I have done on this bike (2013, just purchased yesterday). I want to make sure the fluids are good the first time, as I have no idea on how the guys took care of it before me.

My dealer had a Transmission kit that was everything I needed, minus an extra AGL quart. I then purchased a 2-quart bottle of the PS-4, for $24.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amsoil makes a Synthetic ATV/UTV Front Drive Fluid that may work in place of Polaris All Terrain Demand Drive Fluid, but it costs a little more. I would stick with Polaris Demand Drive Fluid. For oil any full synthetic of the right grade will do. I think I know what to use for the gear case but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe 99% but I won't say. I don't remember what goes in the transmission.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I saw the same Amsoil that's says it's good for front diffs and gear cases along with their std chain case gear oil.Website says it's good for both and wont void warranties. Who knows,might be a good product.I guess it's for diffs that have the awd.. Just noticed at the bottom of the bottle GL5.. Gotta be for standard ring and pinion gear cases. Too many blamed oils out there now.

Attached Thumbnails Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.-audt.jpg   Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.-tcc.jpg  

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-28-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Never mind...GL5
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Trailblazer

I am not totally opposed to getting the branded fluids, just saving pennies where I can. And the closest dealer is 1.5 hours away. Looks like my next road trip will include a stop there.
Thanks, Bill.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by bmiller59
I am not totally opposed to getting the branded fluids, just saving pennies where I can. And the closest dealer is 1.5 hours away. Looks like my next road trip will include a stop there.
Thanks, Bill.
It may be cheaper to buy online. The shipping could be cheaper than the amount of gas you'd burn in a 3 hour round trip.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I saw the same Amsoil that's says it's good for front diffs and gear cases along with their std chain case gear oil.Website says it's good for both and wont void warranties. Who knows,might be a good product.I guess it's for diffs that have the awd.. Just noticed at the bottom of the bottle GL5.. Gotta be for standard ring and pinion gear cases. Too many blamed oils out there now.
I use both Amsoil front drive and chain case lube - have never had an issue with front diff or trans/rear.

Rotella T6 5W40 has been used since first change, Fram XG7317 oil filter.

Peak Antifreeze, and NGK plugs.

Tried a GSE airfilter, washing/oiling got tired fast - went back to paper.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

I went to our local Acrtic Cat dealer and he cross referenced the Polaris name brand product with belray.
What Polaris calls AGL is synthetic 80W and the demand drive fluid is synthetic 75W. At least according to his book. So I got those products.

Now what was Polaris thinking with some of those zerks? A simple 45 fitting would save a ton of frustration. Replacing them next.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Moto Psycho

If I'm not mistaken demand drive plus fluid is nowhere near that thick. But I could be wrong. I would still stick with the Polaris fluid for that.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bmiller59
I went to our local Acrtic Cat dealer and he cross referenced the Polaris name brand product with belray.
What Polaris calls AGL is synthetic 80W and the demand drive fluid is synthetic 75W. At least according to his book. So I got those products.

Now what was Polaris thinking with some of those zerks? A simple 45 fitting would save a ton of frustration. Replacing them next.
Thats too thick - front diff spec is JD20c or better. You can run a tractor fluid like jd low vis hyguard. I have run amsoil front drive fluid in mine, im not an amsoil fan, but it works great.

And a synthetic chaincase lube for the trans/rear diff.

Quick Reply: Fluid equivalents? Instead of branded lubricants.