Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 polaris awd

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 polaris awd

Hello, I have a 2008 polaris 500 with a AWD problem. Oil in the front gearbox is fresh plastic cage rollers and armature plate all appear good. With machine up on blocks engine running in hi or low range no front wheel spin with AWD selector in 4x4 or ADC, if I gradually rev the engine to 12 mph on the speedometer the front wheels violently kick in. The resistance on the brown/white wire at the gear box is 24.2 ohms and I have 12 volts at two terminals of the four terminal plug near the gearbox.The 4x4 icon is on in low range high range and reverse in both ADC and 4x4 although there is no awd in reverse with the override button pushed. Any ideas out there?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Using the correct fluid? Armature plate could be warped,not allowing normal engagement,roll cage can still have hairline cracks that are over looked that can cause erratic engagement also. As far as engagement in reverse,the reverse limiter is built into the speedo. Coil resistance is within range.This place had kits for bypassing the over ride but don't know if they're still selling them.Reverse Override Kit For Polaris Sportsman

Old 04-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the reply,The oil is polaris part #2877922 labled front drive fluid for hilliard equiped machines. On the armature plate I layed it on a flat piece of glass with no visible wobble or airspace around the circumference, the cage I inspected under magnification, I sure couldn't see any cracks inside or out. I had to replace four roll pins on the right hand side of the ring gear as they sheard off, I believe this shearing event was do to my rear wheel spinning at a rather fast rpm and the stationary front wheels being suddenly energized. My biggest question is why is the awd not applying without 12-15 MPH or the equivalent RPM? I couldn't see any unusual wear patterns on the Armature plate, that being said, if you think that the Armature and cage need replaced I will certainly go there next. I have been trying to fix rather than parts replace however, this is a whole new mechanical concept to me so I will follow your advice.. Thank you so much

Old 04-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't try to work around plastic roller cages if you've had to replace some parts. Usually when something like this happens cages explode with rapid engagement of the awd.Some have even shattered/damaged cages on ice when the rear wheels slipped so fast that the cages couldn't take the force.Replace with a good aluminum cage and go from there.You can find plenty on ebay or amazon.https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...+cage&_sacat=0

Old 04-28-2018, 04:28 AM
Trailblazer

the 08 is a different animal for the bypass. I just tied into the override switch with a toggle switch that I can flip when I need AWD in reverse, then flip it back when done.
They use a varying range of resistance to indicate which gear position your in.
I prefer to keep it simple and effective.
I destroyed a front diff as a result of spinning the back tires on ice and the front diff kicked in by itself and made a big mess of broken parts in the housing... I won't do that again!!