Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris AWD problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talkind about the 2 big ones that meet in the center , they touch eat others

Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I'm driving it tight against a machined shoulder on the shaft it probably won't move much say a couple thousands but this may be all you need I'm in the process of removing my diff from the machine here shortly so I don't know if this new thought will help, I'm just hopeful at this point.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by crescendo
Yes I'm driving it tight against a machined shoulder on the shaft it probably won't move much say a couple thousands but this may be all you need I'm in the process of removing my diff from the machine here shortly so I don't know if this new thought will help, I'm just hopeful at this point.
I hope it is cause I can’t figure it out, let me know if it works thx

Old 05-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Mustangpaul, Well I think I've got it figured out fingers are crossed. I tapped on both bearings as we discussed they seemed to be tight against their shoulders, I then removed the spacer that fits on the ring gear indexing on the five roll pins on the right side of the ring gear. What I believe to be my problem was a bushing perhaps 3" in diameter that is pressed into the gearcase sub assembly this bushing was sticking up about 5 thousands above the gear case and not even around its circumference I went ahead and drove the bushing down even with the flat surface of the gearcase, the ring gear fits in this bushing and I believe that it was causing the ring gear to ride higher thus causing the carrier assembly to come into a bind. Everything works as it should now when up in the air both front wheels spin freely back and forth easily. Hope this helps you with your machine.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your talking about the larger red like bushing inside the one on the casing,it’s about 5/8 thick by 3in diameter around.mine was not sitting straight either,I straightened it where it meets,mine is sitting below the top edge about 1/8th way down from top edge,right where it bevels.it didn’t make no difference to mine

Old 05-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you replace your roller cage with a new one, if so where did you buy it and is it the aluminum one

Old 05-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Mustangpaul,Yes I replaced with a new aluminum cage which came with clips and rollers around $80.00 East lake Axle is who I purchased from, there are evidently different types of cages for different models and years of Polaris machines, I purchased thru EBAY. One additional thought, be sure to index the five roll pins on each side of the ring gear into their corresponding notches in each hub if they aren't in the correct position then I believe you would encounter a interference which could possibly cause your 4x4 all the time? I'm not sure but something to consider. Good luck and let me know what you come up with.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats the same place I bought mine online at, tried everything known to man cant get it to stop locking up once in awhile.is there a difference of putting the roller cage upside down or not,cause it fits both ways.also when you put in new cage was it flush with the ring gear when you insertred it, mine is up just a bit above the edge on ring gear

Old 05-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes mine was up above the ring gear a little new carrier measured the same as the old one or awful close, not sure on the direction although I installed mine with the machined recesses towards the armature plate these recesses are what the armature indexed into, mine had a grove machined into the end of the carrier that had said recesses cut in. Hope that is of help............

Old 06-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I moved my 3 in bushing flush like yours, put roll cage in like yours,put it all together and still not fixed,i got a scrunching noise in it, cant seem to figure out what’s wrong with it, soon going to burn the works lol

Quick Reply: Polaris AWD problem