Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XPLORER 400 Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999 | 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Bill,

I think you'll be real happy with your Explorer, I certainly am. I would ride it for a while - put a few hundred on the odometer before deciding on whether or not to mess with the clutch. I keep on thinking that I should re-clutch my machine, but I really have no need to. Maybe after some wear & tear I'll look into it, but the stock engine & clutch do the trick very nicely.

Chris

------------------

Old 10-21-1999 | 11:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

I forgot to ask one very important question about the Xplorer?I dont think it comes equiped with EBS,can I order one with EBS?Or will the dealer install EBS for me?---THANKS----BILL

------------------

Old 10-21-1999 | 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

You can have the EBS setup installed by the dealer.

Chris

------------------

Old 10-21-1999 | 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Bill ; you can have EBS installed as a option they will or are suposed to give you a credit for your stock clutch when you purchase a new quad and have the EBS installed. The cost I think for the optional EBS now is around $200.00 with the exchange credit. I put one on a 400 explorer about 2 months back and it does work . Matter of fact I have the part # for it it is 2200952. I had EBS installed on a 425 Magnum as an option when it first became available . It cost me $140.00 then (late 1997)wouldn,t be without it now. I think you will really apreciate it on the 400 because the 400 is hard on brakes because it is so fast.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-22-1999 | 03:12 PM
rgv
Trailblazer

Kagey,

What is the range on your Magnum 500???

Also, is it possible to re-sprocket my 96 Xplorer so I can run 25" tires front and rear??

Bill C,

glad to see you're going to get some satisfaction from Polaris finally. Hope the legal$ don't get too high

Thanks

Raul

Old 10-22-1999 | 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

I just wanted to say Im glad you seem to be getting your problems with Polaris worked out. I started looking at these forums right after buying my new Polaris and I remembered thinking "Oh my god, I hope I havent made the wrong choice!" after seeing some of your posts. Good luck with your new Explorer.

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 10-22-1999 | 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

Explorer is a great machine. That oil tank on the front is good for 3-4 tanks at least. I ususally top it up before the weekend and leave the oil at home. There is no way I could get it that low to need to fill it.

The Explorer is a quick machine with tons of power. The only consideration would be the sound difference between the two and four stroke. Being that I haven't owned a four stroke polaris, I can't tell how loud they are. Being that you have, you are in a better position to make the call.

The shock is adjustable, and if it were to become an issue you can buy stiffer springs.

You will love this machine.

RM

------------------
99 400EX 95 Scrambler 400 85 LT250R

Old 10-23-1999 | 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 Xplorer and love it!! I bought the 250 model and compared to the 300 Honda 4X4 I used to have it seems like a rocket. Been all over hell and back with mine all I do is add oil and gas. And the same for anyone I know with the Xplorer.

Old 10-23-1999 | 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Rgv. Sorry I,ve took so long getting back to you the first time I tried to answer you the system crashed in the middle of me responding. I have not really checked my range but I would guess it is around 70- 80 miles? Not sure, As for you sprocket question I would think as long as you run a matched set of tires that should not be a problem , Try starting a topic on that subject and see if some owners will give you some answers on that. I bet a lot of them have that size tire on their machines.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-24-1999 | 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,

The Explorer is simply awesome. I have the 99 model and love it. I myself do not like EBS and like to coast when not on the gas. The range on my Explorer is about 75 miles per tank of gas. The oil will last 4 or 5 tanks of gas per refill. I use INJEX oil in all my 2 stroke toys Polaris oil is too expensive for me and smells bad.

I know on all 99 models with concentric drive the Regina chains had problems with master links breaking. Mine broke with 110 miles on the machine. At my dealership lots of 99 machines had broken master link problems. I always keep a spare with me all the time ask Floodrunner about missing link curve. BTW you can drive a polaris in FRONT wheel drive only .

I have over 700 miles on machine now and the only problem has been the master link and that is a Regina quality control issue not a Polaris one. I hope the 2000 models have this problem fixed.

Polaris has been refining the Explorer since 1995 all of the bugs have been worked out. The 378cc Fuji engine is bullet proof my dads 95 Sportsman has over 3,000 hard miles on it and still runs strong. The 400 two stroke is one of the best Polaris engines. DO NOT run premium fuel only use 87 octane. 92 octane runs too cool and will foul plugs. The engine was designed for 87 octane fuel. Two stroke engines are more temperature sensitve than 4 stroke models. Only use NGK plugs they are the best period. I am still using the original spark plug over 700 miles not bad eh.

This is my 3rd polaris two stroke I love them. There is nothing like the smell of a two stroke or the power. It is my drug of choice.

I love the smell of a two stroke in the morning... It smells like victory.

99 Polaris Explorer " Got mud? "

Quick Reply: XPLORER 400 Questions?