Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Sportsman 600 Ducati Coil Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman 600 Ducati Coil Test

Need help testing the Ducati CDI/coil on 2003 Sportsman 600.

A friend of my wife dropped off a near-mint machine with only a couple hundred miles on it that had been sitting in a garage for 10+ years. I was asked to get it running... great. After a deep cleansing of the carb (wicked varnish) & new gas, new oil, it would only fire for a moment and die. Sometimes would sputter a few seconds but would not pop again unless you let it sit several minutes. I did the usual next steps: Checked spark, checked compression, no exhaust or intake blockages. Did some reading and changed the mix screw out to 2.5 turns, cleaned the carb 2 more times, new plugs just for kicks. Still would not run. Had a neighbor come over and he would not believe me on the spark so I pulled the plugs to show him and sure enough - spark was now gone and I cannot get it to return.

I got the manual and have done all of the steps outlined for no spark, except one that I do not understand and would like help:
- Pulled black wire at the CDI - still no spark - all kill switches ruled out.
- Checked exciter coil and pulse coil resistances: 378 Ohms and 6.0 Ohme - both right in spec - stator looks good.
- Checked coil ground: 0 Ohms - good.

Only thing left to check is the coil and this is where I get lost: The last step states:
Disconnect and check the secondary coil. Resistance
values should be:
Primary Side - Primary Wire Tab to Ground
(on coil mount or engine): .3 to .5 Ohms
Secondary Side High Tension Wire to High Tension
Wire-- Cap installed - 11,300
Cap removed - 6300
Are these values within specs?"

There are values for the ignition coil in the wiring diagram for the manual: w/o caps 18,000-24,000, w/ caps 12,000

My question: How do I test this last step? I thought the CDI & coil were integrated? I know to put one lead of the ohm meter on the plug end, but where does the other go? On a pin going into the Ducati CDI? If so, which one?

Also, when I pulled the black wire, i noticed that it had 12V on it (with key on & switch on)? I thought this was supposed to be open and then be shorted to ground in order to kill the engine. Why is there 12V? Shouldn't that just be open, or is there a pull-up resistor somewhere in the circuit?

This has the Ducati ignition so I know the first response most will have: Throw it away and get the polaris DC kit (or at least the the RMStator)... That is fine and all, but I want to show that the one on there is for sure bad before I go and spend $600 of someone else's money.

Thanks,

Bob