Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

00 Sp500 vs Kodiak 00 ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-1999, 01:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

evensen: AMEN!

What I'M still trying to figure out is why someone on here really CARES what kind of ATV other total strangers have?!?!?

That's the best topic yet! See ya in the funny papers!

Old 10-29-1999, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Evenson; You are right on the money with that assumption , I,ve said that all along, Yes theres no denying that the sportsman has had some growing pains and just like all the others out there they will break down on occasion. The reason we catch it so bad is because our brand has been outperforming the other makes for a while now and the others riders are just looking for something to razz us about , I must say I am proud of all of my fellow Polaris forum users for not going over to the other makes Forums and bashing them like they do us. It says a lot about the character of the people we have on here.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 10-29-1999, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ForestMK,oh man,you really need to look at Polaris 4x4 400cc Xplorer.It weighs in at 588lbs,which is 110lbs lighter than the Sportsman,it has more hp than either the Sportman or Kodiak,[36 hp]it's a 2 stroker with oil injection system so no adding gas/oil.Much more powerful for them steep hills your talking about,and has all 4 wheels giving power to them when the AWD is activated.The Kodiak is limited slip,which means you'll only have power to one wheel in the front end of the Kodiak while in 4x4.At least go and look at the Xplorer and decide for yourself.I own a 99 Sportsman.Soon it will be gone.Im getting the 400cc Xplorer.CANT WAIT--------BILL

Old 10-29-1999, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

Bill,What is it you dont like about the Sportsman?My brother-in-law has a 99'400 explorer and is wanting to trade his in 4 a 500 Sportsman.He is tired of working on his chain,also having sreering problems and says his is already loosing power after only 800 miles.When I raced him on my Grizzly i beat him!Thats when he said that his wasnt as fast as when it was new.

Old 10-31-1999, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back from weekend of deer hunting.
I shot a buck mule deer in the neck, and
he got back up and ran off.
This was my first weekend with my new to
me (1998) Magnum 425. I have riden friends
quads but it seems you try WAY MORE stuff
with your own machine than a borrowed one.
I was very anxious to cover as much ground
as possible to find that dang deer. The
Magnum performed like a champ. I just about
got stuck in a half frozen tall grass bog.
Then I shifted to low and put all my
weight on the left running board where it seemed not so deep and it grabbed on pulled
out.
My wife rode the Magnum mostly on trails.
She is just as excited as I am. I do not
think we will be waiting too long to get
a SP500 or maybe a Cat-auto. But that Cat
had better be great to get me away from
Polaris.

Old 11-01-1999, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

Your Friends Xplorer 400 Must be suffering powerloss..
My Neighbor has had similar Problems and seemd to go through a PHASE where it was loosing power..Two things caused it, One the exhaust was partially clogged at the outlet from Mud he had been going through and the other problem was the bike was running rich , wich seemed to compound it as miles got on it, around the 400 mile mark.
Now rejetted and over 100 miles on it, it will cleanely bring the front wheels off the ground from a dead stop in High range.
It Accelerates Much harder than a 98 grizzly I rode while On a trip to Ohio..But I think Maybe top speed may have been a bit slower than the Grizz..

Old 11-07-1999, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

ForrestMk, I just got back from a 10-day hunting trip in the Colorado Rockies. We spent a lot of time on a borrowed '97 Sportsman 500 and a rented '99 Honda 300 4x4. Both were in excellent shape. The Polaris broke down on the second day with an ignition failure, which was so common, a friend in camp was able to refer us to a repair shop in Collbran. I was shocked when they had it fixed in 1-day. FIVE other Polarises were also in for repairs (and 1 old Honda 3-wheeler). We got it back and put lots of miles on both machines and here's my opinion...The Polaris was too wide, too long, too heavy, and made way too much noise (brakes and belt) and had to be arm-wrestled on off-camber trails (serious neck pain). It was still fun to ride and had much more power than we needed. The Honda was much easier to turn but didn't turn as sharply, needed a couple more inches of ground clearance (for the very rocky terrain), and was under-powered. The Honda went everywhere the Polaris went but was much easier to handle going downhill (engine braking, light weight), and off-camber. This trip convinced me to buy a smaller, nimbler machine than the Sportsman. I'm going to buy a '00 Kodiak 400 or a Honda 450. I like the Rubicon but think it may be too large for the tight, rough trails I ride. Borrow or rent a couple different machines and ride them the way you plan to use them and your decision will be so much easier. It cost me $125 to rent/borrow these two machine but saved a lot grief, as I was about to buy the Sportsman. I have put thousands of miles on a '89 Warrior and '88 Banshee without one single problem and would not hesitate to buy the Kodiak.

Happy Trails!

Mark Boyd (YZF400)

Old 11-08-1999, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Though the Honda was a 99 and the Sportsman a 97. Two years is a bit of a difference in years.

Old 11-09-1999, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

MBOYD;I know the area at COLLBRAN where you were isn't that beautiful country !!!!!!Ive ridden it many times I can't believe you would take Kodiak over 500sp.I ride with guy who has kodiak,sorry but what a piece of junk,if your riding rough trails they beat you to death,we are always waiting for him to catch up.He can't take the beating it gives him.It has limited slip,need I say more about that.You have to shift which is quite a draw back here in the moutains.I'm sorry but have ridden kodiak at times to relieve him,thats why i had to reply.Couldn't believe my eyes.How was the hunting,to warm huh?Been doing snow dance to no avail.
Later COB
NO offence ment your the one who has to make the decision,just shooting my mouth off.

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 11-08-1999).]

Old 11-10-1999, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Coming from a Honda rider, get the Sportsman!

Quick Reply: 00 Sp500 vs Kodiak 00 ???