Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris XP 1000 Touring or Can Am Max?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris XP 1000 Touring or Can Am Max?

I currently have a polaris 570 esp touring. I'm getting something new. Either a polaris xp 1000 touring or a Can Am XT Max. Can you give me the pros and cons for both. Been looking for a while and the more I look at both the harder my decision is. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Polaris pros-Best on board storage. I had the under-front rack storage on an X2 that I loved. All sorts of places to put things you may need. By far, best riding utility machine. If your back is sore it's a consideration. Been on my son's Scrambler. Super comfortable ride. Polaris belt transmission is quieter than the Can-Am's but engages further up the RPM's. I don't care for it. I like it to engage more quickly. Both machines have the kind of power that you want to be careful, especially in corners. If you hit that throttle in a corner and don't have your weight forward and towards the inside of the turn it can lighten up the front end enough that you end up going straight. Polaris power steering is automatic. It senses your speed and gives less boost at high speeds and more at low speeds.
Can-Am pros-Is only second to Polaris as far as storage goes. Has a big box under the rear rack and a small one when you're without a passenger where the seat would go. Ride is second to the Polaris in my mind. A little stiffer. Can-Am's belt engages quicker but has more of a whine at high speeds than Polaris. I like how the belt engages. Nice and quick. Good for plowing, chores, and slow technical riding. Both machines are about equal in top speed. Power steering on the Outlander gives you 3 choices, minimum, medium, and maximum. I like being able to choose it myself but the Polaris system works well too. Both machines have great 4wd. Flick a switch and it's in. Both sense difference in speed between the front tires and rears. When there is a difference, they send power to the front. Polaris' system is slightly faster than the Can-Am but both are pretty seamless. The majority of machines in mud pits are Can-Am's and Polaris. The two reasons I have for buying the Outlander Max Limited over the Polaris Touring is that the Can-Am has more room for a cargo box when the passenger seat is in place than the Polaris. I have more than I typically need. It's good to have more room. Especially for long winter rides and long rides by myself. Second reason is the air adjustable shocks on the rear of the Outlander Max Limited. Has 6 settings. I drive by myself with it on 3. With the wife I have it set for 5 or 6. It's nice to be able to adjust the ride height without using a spanner wrench.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. That helps. I will take everything you said into consideration

Old 02-23-2019, 07:58 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last time I was at a Polaris dealer I was looking at a couple of Sportsman 570s. There was a sign on the front rack of one listing the improvements they made. One was the transmission. I think they said the engagement was 30% smoother or else quicker. I can't recall what it said, but if they made the 570 better I'm sure they made their more expensive models better too. It would be worth looking into.