Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

RCR Lowend TB Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1999, 06:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience I would not think this was the best primary for your power. Those engage and shift poundages can be misleading. HPD quotes them as engage at 2.35" and shift at 1.29". Everybody else quotes poundage at 2.5" and 1.25". HPD's figures may be more correct as far as actual engage and shift points (I don't know this) but you need to be aware of the differences when comparing.

I think the rear spring is extremely important. A stronger spring will grip your belt tighter allowing less slippage and keep the whole clutch running cooler. No special tools are require to get into the driven clutch. You will probably need someone to help you by holding pressure off the snap ring while you remove it and preloading the spring by a 1/3 when putting it back together. I've done it by myself but I use a couple of quick clamps on my bench. I've seen a very large friend muscle it together by himself but to get that preload can be a bear.
If you are looking for a higher engagement I would consider the Orange spring. It makes wheelies a snap and the shift weight is 190 at 1.25". I know this worked better with my powerband than the plain HPD.
Scott.

Old 10-27-1999, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

Scott, Im going to order a HPD violet secondary spring tommorrow, seems like a no brainer after I have done some studying on the subject. You have mentioned a yellow and an orange primary for a better primary engagement your input here would greatly be appreciated I still want dead stop wheelies but I also want to be cruising down the trail and get the front end up to go over stuff! Whadya Think????? Thanks Todd
P.S. have you ever tried the brown?

[This message has been edited by Todd-007 (edited 10-27-1999).]

Old 10-28-1999, 01:03 PM
Range Rover

Yes, I have tried the brown. It engages higher than the spring you have now and shifts out at a slightly lower rpm. The Orange engages a little higher than the brown and shifts out a little lower.

Something to remember, Polaris springs are said to have a bit more variance than custom springs from EPI. Your brown spring may not be exactly like my brown spring and so on.

The yellow spring should engage a bit higher than your plain and and shifts out lower than the Orange.

Here are HPD specs (engage 2.35 shift 1.29):

1. HPD plain 55 - 216lbs.
2. Brown 87 - 206lbs.
3. Orange 87 - 194lbs.
4. Yellow 62 - 174lbs.

EPI and Hot Seat show the Orange engaging higher than the brown and this has been my experience but I have only used one each. They both engage higher than my HPD plain from RCR. I think the orange or yellow would suit you best.

For better response on the trail you will want to run the secondary spring in the #1 hole on the inside and the #2 on the outside. Make sure when you put the secondary back together you put a 1/3 twist on the spring. This involves twisting the 2 sheaves up over one button in the direction that tightens the spring. Then clamp the sheaves in this position so they can't move and install the snap ring.
Scott.

Old 10-28-1999, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot for the help Scott I'll post some results next week after trying the new setup!

Todd

Old 10-29-1999, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Scott (any one that knows)
Help me out here I'm not quite following you on the secondary spring, what do you mean back shift sooner is this what you want when your climbing hills, does this affect any other perforance ( mid, bottem,)
Thanks Dennis

Old 10-31-1999, 07:42 PM
Range Rover

All components of the clutch affect each other. I have to keep things simple for me to grasp them. Think of the secondary as being the rear gear set on a 10 speed bike. The secondary spring keeps the 2 sheaves together that make up the rear pulley.

If you put a stronger spring in there the sheaves require more torque to force them apart, therefore you stay in a higher gear longer and come back to it quicker.

That is as simple as I can make it. There is a lot more to the secondary than that but you should understand the function of the spring now.
Scott.

[This message has been edited by Sburdman (edited 11-01-1999).]