Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 Polaris 500 HO ATP-new owner rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Polaris 500 HO ATP-new owner rookie questions

Hi All,

I just picked a 2004 are that shows 36 hours and 118 miles. It was owned by a landscape company since new and was used hard. This is my 1st atv. Picked up to leave it at camp up north. I am mechanically inclined but have never worked on these rigs before. I got a service manual and am reading. The atv runs and drives as it should. Starts easy and idles nice. I do have some questions and am clueless as it comes to these rigs so here we go......

1) at 36 hours would you adjust / check the valves? I have most of the plastic off now but it looks like the front plastic and tank need to come out to do this. The motor has some valve noise but I have no basis on what is normal engine noise. I'm inclined to use it for a bit before getting into this.

2). With the atv sitting a fair amount of its life is there other service items I should look at?

thanks for the help!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome
Glad you got a repair manual lots of good information
The valve's are easy job once in there and must be done with things properly lined up but the time to take things apart to get in there is the worst easier with work on with plastics out of the way.
Since you got most of the plastics off I would do a good inspection of the rubber hoses to engine and carb. change fuel filter .Under tank 2 types hose to tank connections were used threaded were best and push in Rubber grommet o ring [They dry out and leak] not sure what you got? Inspect belt, cv joint boots for cracks/rips, driveshaft u joints for slop, Change out the fluids if not sure when last changed, Carefully power wash and check for leaks not many miles but still got 15 years of life on it. One of the major areas of concern is were rear driveshaft slips over rear differential spline needs to be packed with grease once a year. The rear differential is no longer available only most of the parts.The rear end splines become worn causing driveshaft to skip on splines, usually ruining both. lots of used rear diffs. on Ebay are being sold with trashed rear splines. I Have 2- 2004s 330 and 500 atp have been through both top to bottom be glad to help with any questions if I can, All and all a very versatile rig Good luck

The following users liked this post:
thehermit (03-21-2020)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply.

Still think im waiting on valves as I would like to use it for a little bit 1st. All cleaned up. Plug looked great so still running that one and keeping my new as spare. Adjusted idle per manual. It was a touch low.

Diff skid plate was loaded with grease and dirt. Pulled diff plug to check and some rusty water around plug. Drained diff and it looked good. Seemed low on fluid though. Will watch that area. Waiting on Polaris fluids to finish diff oil change and oil change.

I will look for that zerk fitting. Any other key grease points while I’m at it?

checked radiator and fluids. Also checked fan switch w laser temp gun ect. Cooling seems ok.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

check for zerks on u joints and driveshaft [front slip yoke] no zerk for rear diff have to take out 4 bolts each side of swingarm near rear shocks and slid diff out of rear driveshaft splines[might have to remove lower shock bolts and rear brake calipers and lines[leave connected] and let hang free little bit of work but should be done

Old 09-25-2019, 05:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Trailrider,

i am am enjoying the atp and have a few hours on her. All just around the property. Noticing maybe the rear diff may be missing a tooth or something? I never took it apart as you mentioned. I wanted to make sure I liked the machine 1st. Is it perhaps that is dry w no grease? I see some rear end parts on eBay. Thoughts? Time to pull apart?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

I would check the splines on rear driveshaft to rear diff as on previous post they were out from metal to metal slip without grease

Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Will try to take it easy on her till I get a chance to grease that spline.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nest seemed to ruin clutches. Anyone use the aftermarket ones on eBay???

Was running like this for a year. Dust and a total mess

Old 03-21-2020, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Splines look like they are good w some grease left.

Splines look ok

Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. Hiding from virus an doing some wrench work. One missing spline on diff. Its chunk was in shaft.

Also so clutch has nest and was a mess. Not working at all.

Worth the parts?

Quick Reply: 2004 Polaris 500 HO ATP-new owner rookie questions