Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 6x6

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1999, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody try the new Polaris Sportsman 6x6 yet?? If so, what impressions if any do you have?
I'm thinking about buying one.

Old 10-28-1999, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Why you want the 6x6? I like it too, but I don't think it would be any good for trail riding. I wounder how it would do in the mud?
How much does it weight?

Old 10-28-1999, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

I rode one and was very impressed. I honestly couldn’t tell there was anything extra behind me (the box was empty). It handles light for an 800 lb. machine but is no wider than other large 4x4s so its extra length would be the only problem in tight situations.

Here in Wisconsin the legal description for an ATV says it can’t exceed 600 lbs. The dealers are already having to lie about the weight of the Sportsman and Magnum to get them licensed. Until the weight limit is changed it would be hard to license this 6x6, and without a license it would be illegal to ride on a public trail.

Personally I’d like to see it go to shaft drive but I doubt they will because it already weights so much. With 6wd this thing is almost unstoppable. Add the tracks on the rear and the only things it wouldn’t do are swim and climb trees.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 10-28-1999, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flood Runner,can you legalize ATVS in Wisconson for road use? BILL

Old 10-31-1999, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris says it weights 895lbs, better not flip that bad boy.

Bet it would be one hell of a hill climber and mud machine with that extra set of wheels. I dought Highlifter is going to mke a lift kit for it.

Arctic Cat 500, I want to pull with the 6x6

Old 10-31-1999, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I live in Alaska and I would like to put a set of tracks on the 6x6 for winter use.
That way I would have year round use.
I'm looking at getting the Sportsman 6x6 instead of the Ranger because of the Rangers width. Its to wide for most of the trails.
In Alaska we do not have to register our ATV's.

[This message has been edited by pdurkin (edited 10-31-1999).]

Old 10-31-1999, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Met a Polaris 6x6 rider on the trail while elk hunting a month ago. He lives in Alaska and had brought it all the way to Colorado for the elk hunt. He says where he lives almost everybody uses the Polaris 6x6 as it the best one for getting around in the winter. Surely it is not as nimble as a four wheeler, but he was sure tearing down the trails with it.

Old 11-04-1999, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

No, you can’t ride ATVs on roads legally in Wisconsin unless they are designated as part of the ATV trail system. This is the case on many gravel roads and fire lanes up north. The parts of the trail system that are roads are called “routes” whereas the actual off-road trails are called trails.

I though the empty 6x6 I rode was very nimble. Trail riding it wouldn’t bother me. HighLifter’s front kit would work on it, and maybe the one for the first rear shock. The shock under the box would need some figuring to lift.

That’s the trouble with a swing-arm rear. You put a lift kit on it and all you lift is the body, you really don’t get any ground clearance at the pumpkin. I have lift kits front & rear on my Sportsman and have a full 13” of air underneath, without me on it. I love it!

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 11-06-1999, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Floodrunner,

You rode the 2000 Sportsman 6x6?
If so, can you tell me how many handlebar brake levers there were?

The reason I ask is because in Atv Magazine there is a picture of a Sportsman 6x6 with brake levers on the right and the left side.

Arctic Cat 500, Got Mud?

Old 11-06-1999, 06:26 PM
Range Rover

Uh oh........wait till Max6x6 gets wind of this.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 6x6