Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xpedition 425 oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpedition 425 oil questions

I picked up non-running 2000 Xpedition w/plow. Got it running after swapping Chinese carb out with used Mikuni and kit. Now, I want to change out fluids.
I've searched long and hard, but can't find definitive answers to my questions. This is no place where I want to experiment and find out the hard way that I was wrong.

Sooo, do the engine and transmission share the same sump? Where is the dipstick for the engine oil? I have found one on the right rear side of engine that has lubricant up to the top of the threads. I wonder why that even needs a dipstick - you couldn't get another drop in it.

It takes 5.5 quarts of engine and that is what leads me to believe that engine oil is same as transmission oil and that they share same sump and only need one dip stick and oil filler.

In the specs section of owners manual supplement, under fluid capacities, transmission calls for N/A.

What gives here?

Thanks much.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Range Rover

Can't really answer you question, but is this the unit that does not use the CVT belt set up? I think it is the odd ball in the Polaris line up.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Polarat
Can't really answer you question, but is this the unit that does not use the CVT belt set up? I think it is the odd ball in the Polaris line up.
I don't know a CVT from a DVD.

I went for broke and changed the oil. It worked fine. So, just now I found the answer. Indeed, engine and trans share the same oil.
Everything works. Got it stuck in the snowbank up to the frame. Not too impressed with that. But hey, it was free.