Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris user input on this topic

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999 | 03:24 AM
hc
|
Range Rover

I know that this subject has been talked about before. But i need some feedback from those that have been ridding for a while and have had this nuisance to happen to them.(all polaris riders lol).
Bought a new "99" SP500 last July and it's been and still is a good one. The brake on the back squeals.Iwork a lot so it doesn't get rode that much but that will change starting next week (vaction) will be using it to go to my hunting places. Is there any thing a person can do to stop the squeal. It may set in my garage for a week or three at a time without being as much as started and i haven't had it in any mud yet. The hunting club is red clay but it has been dust when i have gotten to go ride. When it raines it will be a mess.
But getting back to the brakes.....any first hand knowledge as what to do would be welcomed. I know that this is part of a "polaris thing" .

Oh, by the way....I really like the EBS wouldn't have one without it given a choice. And the Sportsman 500.....well....all you SP500 owners know that it's in a class by it's self and a good one at that. It fits my needs!!

------------------
Harold Cowley

Old 10-28-1999 | 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Harold, does your brake “squeal” or “squeak”? Does it make the noise when you apply it or while riding? If it makes the noise while riding does it go away when you apply the brakes?

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 10-28-1999 | 01:37 PM
Range Rover

yeah, mine used to squeak..for some reason they don't anymore..

Anyhow, I bought this kind of lubricant (Not WD-40) and just spray it onto the top of the rear brakes at the start of each ride. I wish I had the name of it..let me go out to my car and get the can,.it's called CHESTERTON All Purpose Dry Lubricant.

Old 10-28-1999 | 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hc,
My Scrambler brakes used to squeak while riding at low speeds. When it got time to replace them, I installed EBC (brand) brake pads. But, before you install them, run a healthy bead of Ultra Copper Form-A-Gasket across the back of the inside pad, and on the back of the outside pad at the contact points. Clean your contact points on the caliper and then install them. What this does is glues the pads to the cylinder and outer part of the caliper. If your trouble is what mine was, it was being caused from applying the brakes and then releasing. The pad doesn't FULLY pull away because there is nothing to pull it from the rotor. This is why when you buy a set of brakes for your car, more than likely it comes with a tube of pale blue silicone adhesive. This will allow your caliper piston to PULL the pad completely away from the piston and stopping the squeak/l!!... Good Luck!!!..

Old 10-29-1999 | 02:32 PM
hc
|
Range Rover

Thank you all for your input! Floodrunner,my back brake squeaks like a rat only louder and it appears the back rotor is slightly warrped but I really don't think it is. It has a "rotaional squeak" meaning that it squeaks at one small spot on the rotor or disk.
I have only used the back brake once to see if it works and then when it squeaks only to lightly apply the foot brake to see if it goes away and it does but only while the brake is applied, but after a short ride it stops squeaking any way. Thanks to the EBS i seldom use the brakes even on steep hills.
Could be that almost after every ride I wash it to get all the dust off(no mudd when i ride), because it looks like when after a wash and it sets for days and it gets moved I can see a small rust spot on the rotor.
If this is the only problem that will occur then I will be well pleased.

------------------
Harold Cowley

[This message has been edited by hc (edited 10-29-1999).]

Old 10-30-1999 | 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

Had the same problem with my 99 Scrambler. After about 5 or 6 half day rides, the squeak went away. Can be bothersome though, especially if you're hunting.

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

Old 10-30-1999 | 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Dug out the trusty POLARIS manual says this may be caused by dirty pads.Improper alinment worn disk,worn disk slines.Just changed pads on 425 I had thought they were wore out,but they were more dirty than wore out.
COB