Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Polaris Predator 90 no low end power

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris Predator 90 no low end power

Hi all, I have a new to me Polaris predator 90. I bought it on craigslist in a dark parking lot one night after work. It ran and started great in the parking lot.

When I got home the next day to start it up and run it for the kids I could not get it started. I figured it had something plugged in the carb so I tore into it and clean it up. It was pretty clean and I didn't see anything out of the norm. I changed the plug. Cause it is a 2 stroke that seems like an obvious thing to do. Then I started reading on here about having to adjust the choke, did that, and then I started the trick of holding my hand over the air intake to get it some more choke and this worked to get it started last summer while it was warm out. Once it started it worked ok but really lacked low end power. It worked ok for the kids but didnt work well for my 170 lbs. Could barely move me in the grass.

Once winter came and it got cold there was no starting it without ether into the carb..

I knew things were getting serious so I checked the compression. 50 PSI. BAM now I know what is wrong. So I threw a new top end on it and got it up to 95 PSI or so. I thought this would really make a difference.

None: it still is super cold blooded and has absolutely NO power. I think the carb is set up right cause the engine runss and idles fine once it is warm. But it is terrible to start cold and it has no power in forward. In reverse it will spin the tires as it jumps to the rev limiter. Tons of power in R.

Is there a way to adjust the belt deflection on these? My belt is running pretty low in the secondary and it looks pretty loose. I think that might be my first step to fixing the forward power issue. I know I have a 19T front gear but I dunno about the back.

I am pretty sure the power issue is clutch related cause once it gets some speed and the RPMs get up it goes good.

So I got two issues I am chasing. 1. Terrible cold blooded. 2. no power.

What are your thoughts?

Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any 90cc predator fans around? Is this in the wrong section? Should it be in the "Kids" section?