Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Sportsman No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Sportsman No Spark

Bought a 98 Sportsman real cheap. Running but would not charge. Replaced stator and regulator. Ran good and charged. 2 days ago tried to start and no spark???? Any ideas what happened???

Old 06-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No idea what happened. Could be anything at this point including a bad new part. You need to start testing until you find the bad part.
Could be as simple as a bad connection, Low battery, Bad pickup, Fouled spark plug and anything in between.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested everything I could find in the manual. The pulse coil tested high at 133.3 ohms. The rest were in specs. I tried testing voltage coming from stator but never tested peak voltage and don’t have adapter. Is there something else to check???

Old 06-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

You say the pulse coil tested high. I do not have a manual that covers your ride. Is it in spec? If not probably the most likely problem and needs replaced in anycase.

Old 06-14-2020, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Try unhooking the kill switch. I have read that can cause problems.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried unhooking kill switch but still nothing. Pulse Coil testing at 133 ohms. Manual says 97. Old Pulse coil tests the same but was running with the old one. I’m thinking CDI box but don’t know how to check except to replace it. Anyone ever heard of flywheel going bad?? Looks like magnets have been glued back on I’m the past but was running that way.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:58 PM
Range Rover

I dunno but maybe a pulse coil that far out of spec could have taken out the CDI box. Personally i would replace that part even if it is still working.
With out seeing it there is no way to tell if the magnets have been re glued and even then how can a person be sure.
I guess with out knowing for sure i would get a used EBay CDI and new pulse coil slap em on a see what happens.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Magnets have been glued! I just replaced stator including pulse coil as well as. CDI box. Hooked it all up and it started once now no spark! I tested with peak meter everything from stator tested good. No voltage to blue wire going to coil! There is voltage coming from pulse coil to cdi, does this mean it’s working? I have unhooked the black wire from new cdi but still no spark! This is kicking my but!!

Old 06-20-2020, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

Yes electrical problems can be a nightmare!
Seems like a distant memory but it seems like i read something about the ignition switch could also be a problem but like i sad totally unsure so try a google search.
Your absolutely sure all connections and all fusible links, fuses are good?

Old 06-20-2020, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Found this on another Fixya.Initially, a review / proposed checks / have you tried:
  • • temporarily disconnect the black wire from the CDI;
  • • determine if the pickup coil would produce pulsating low ACV when attempting to start;
  • • determine if the exciter coil would produce pulsating DCV when attempting to start;
  • • determine if the CDI to ignition coil would have pulsating DCV when attempting to start.

Quick Reply: 98 Sportsman No Spark