Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to ATVing! Polaris sitting for 7 years tune up questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to ATVing! Polaris sitting for 7 years tune up questions.

Hi there, I've been reading around the forums and wanted to confirm a few things. I'm new to ATV mechanics in general. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but have usually been able to work on my own vehicles, as well as perform my own maintenance.

Here is a little back story. My brother passed away 7 years ago. He was meticulous with his ATV's and, well, everything. Schedules, white boards for maintenance, everything. When he passed my sister kept his quads because she had 2 teens and was excited they could continue riding them. Well, they sat for 7 years in a garage (at least they had that) and I decided I was going to take them, so i did lol. One of them was a 2006 polaris trail blazer 250, 2 stroke automatic.

I went and got everything I could think of to get this thing running again. I currently have a new drive belt, spark plug, carb rebuild kit, and an oiled air filter. (and a cleaning kit). For parts is there anything else i should be looking at to breathe life in this beast?

Also, I went and got fluids as well. Everything is polaris brand except for the brake fluid.
I got 2 stroke oil, dot 4 break fluid, transmission fluid, fuel filter, chain oil, and a grease gun ( I already owned that). I believe that is all I need. Is there anything else I would need to look into?

Now, here is the weird part. I was sold ps-4 4 stroke oil, which threw me off. Everything I have read says what I have always been told and understand, which is that the oil goes in the fuel for 2 strokes and that is it. And the label on the oil kinda confirms its only for 4 strokes as well. However, they have a chart at ride now that confirms it takes 2 quarts... The girl selling me it was confused as well. Another guy said it took it, I think he was wrong at this point. Can someone confirm for me just one last time that I do not need engine oil aside from the 2 stroke oil i add at the top.

Also, can i get a confirmation that I don't need any of the following: oil filter (never had a 2 stroke anything and not sure if the injected oil is filtered anywhere) and coolant.

Also, I plan on purchasing maintenance guides. Are Chilton's good for ATV's?
Thanks everyone! I'm also glad to be aboard.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a Google search for a repair manual. Sometimes they pop right up and you can download just about all the information that you need to know to work on them. The owners manual may also give a little guidance as to fluids and routine maintenance. They seem to be a lot easier to find than the repair manuals.