Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400EX???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had wanted a pure track racing 4 wheeler I sure would not have bought a 400EX it would have been a Raptor or a DS650. I wanted the best all around 4 wheeler which is a Scrambler. No I would have not had more fun lets see your 400EX go through deep mud or through Deep snow. I spent a week in Moab last month going places a 400EX could not even dream about going on my Scrambler and my Sportsman I live where the only riding is not just race tracks that would to me be boring if that is all you could ride was race tracks. Where I might add the 400EX comes in 4 place against the Banshee, Raptor, DS650 and the new FX400.
A 400EX is a pour excues for a sport quad if you compare it too what is out on the market And one last point a Scrambler 4X4 is a sport/utility quad that will out drag race a 400EX and will go up any hill faster.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch, the last few posts have been kinda harsh both ways, but I guess what do you expect. Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the "fully automatic boring" post. I have to admit that I doubted the automatic thing when I caught wind that my friend was selling the quad that I currently own. I was pleasently suprised when I rode it though. If all you guys think that just cause you have an automatic quad need to wake up. Do you only have a four wheeler so you can ride around and shift it? Does shifting give you pleasure? In a car, I prefer standard over automatic, but you can't compare that tranny to the Polaris setup. It's like a snowmobile, and if you think a snowmobile is boring, then I strongly disagree. Snowmobiles give you so much more of a rush than four wheelers do. After getting off of my Mach Z this spring and riding the my four wheeler, it felt like I was riding on a power-wheels toy. Anyway, I just don't see why shifting is such a big deal. My friend with the Banshee said that the only reason my four wheeler can beat his in a (short) drag race is cause it's automatic...then he goes and bashes it because of that same reason. It's kinda funny I guess. Later.

-Josh

Old 05-05-2001, 10:49 PM
Range Rover

your friend can not ride his banshee to its potential.

if riddin correctly a banshee should beat any sport off the line. An automatic clutch has a slight hesitation from the start, depending on wear of the belt, but from there it goes to hp. In that category the banshee is still the king. THe banshee takes skill to ride but when ridden correctly I don't think there is a stock quad out there that can beat it on a pavement dragrace.

Old 05-05-2001, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe he is not the best rider in the world, but I know that he can drive. This is his third Banshee (which is now gone as of this week cause he's got a 2001 coming), and he has been driving them for over 8 years (no other quads, just his Shee's). On several occasions he has raced other stock Banshee's, and one that was bored slightly and had no problem tying or beating them. It's hard to believe that all of those guys don't know what there doing. I agree, a Banshee takes getting used to, but once you do there is only so much better or faster the RIDER can make it in a straight line. Especially if it is stock, and they haven't changed stuff around on it. He's a good rider, maybe not the best, but he is good. However, his Banshee is the only Banshee that I have ever raced. It would be more likely that his four wheeler isn't running 100% rather than Rider error. That would be a solid point that I couldn't argue.

Also, FYI everybody, I was supposed to race the 400ex today but somebody must have been somebody "up there" that didn't want it to happen. I ended up rolling my four wheeler fooling around, and then I found out that the guy with the EX didn't get his wheel bearing delivered this week, so he couldn't install it today. So his quad is still ripped apart, as is mine now unexpectedly. Thanks for the replies.

-Josh

Old 05-05-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the "slight lag" with an automatic clutch, but there are a few starting line techniques to minimize any lag...

Old 05-06-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

If you put a clutch kit or a different clutch spring in then you can eliminate that lag. Yes, in stock Polaris' there is a little lag, but still it's quicker than Shee's and EX's. Just accept the truth. I've seen piped Sports humiliate piped Banshee's up Sand Mountain(Utah).