Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400/500 2x4,ds650,400ex,banshee,or raptor??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best choice would be the DS-650. It has lots of power and is the fastest atv I have ridden by far. The raptor is also fast but they are very tippy. The DS is not the best handling machine but that isn't what you are looking for. I currently have a scrambler but I ride in muddy wooded areas. I definately would not buy one for desert riding.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

scrambler X, just so you know.....

lesson 1. powersliding is not for stopping. and the scrambler is terrible at it

lesson 2. the scrambler 400 will not be the best bang for your buck, look at the prices, and look at the hp. do a little division and figure it out. BANG is definately not a word meant to describe a trail machine like the scrambler. maybe something a little more exciting

just a thought, I don't know

and so everyone knows I don't have anything aginst the polaris. I own one, and a couple of my friends have one, its just that they have their stong points and I don't think that what this guy needs a quad for fits the scramblers categories. I could be wrong though.

Old 05-10-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Mag500, sounds like you love your 400ex. Too bad about all the others out there!

Old 05-10-2001, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

like I said they all have their strong points. if I was riding in dunes and just dunes,I owuld get the DS it is the sweetest looking by far I think. The raptor is awesome, but I think the 400 is just enough for me, and the scrambler... well if you live for trail ridin adn you have a good polaris dealer around and no one else and you get teh 3 yr extended warranty then a scrambler would be good for you.

just depends on how you use it. If I was a bigger guy I would NEVER get a 400ex or a raptor, they are just to small. It would have to be the DS or maybe the scrambler (the 4x4).

Old 05-10-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Mag500, just so you know.....
I know what powersliding is, I was being sarcastic, anyone who rides a scrambler knows they dont like to powerslide.

I never said the Scrambler was the best bang for the buck, I guess you have reading troubles. I did say that the Scrambler 400 2x4 would be the fastest in a drag race for the money. I bought mine for $4200 new and put about $1500 into it and now I have for $5700, a machine with 65+ hp that dominates at the dunes and in drag races. I was just giving my opinion as demonic asked, not telling him what he needs like you are. I love ATV's all types, brands, and models, they all have their advantages and disadvantages, I just have my favorite>>>> POLARIS!

Old 05-10-2001, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hay ScramblerX, try not to let Mag500 get ya wound up. He just has "Scrambleritus"
Its a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach every time a Scrambler blows past him in the dunes.
[green]Usually caused by ATV owners that know Scramblers are slow, heavy, trail quads, that have a hard time in the sand.
Most common in 400EX owners.[/green]

Just kiddin Honda guys, You know we love ya.

Old 05-10-2001, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

I've rode all the quads you asked about, I'm not a pro, but here's my observations:

I own a Sport, same as the Scrambler 2X4. For trail riding, It's one of the best. I've had it slightly modded, and it goes faster than I want to go. It's heavy, but I'm used to it. The suspension is great for trails, and it's very stable. It has reverse, which was one of my requirements when I was looking for a trail quad. It's automatic, which I fell in love with immediately. I'll never sell this machine. By the way, it powerslides like a beast.

DS650: I loved riding it. Suspension is great. Speed, fantastic. Way too wide for most of the places I ride, that's what kept me from buying one, plus, no reverse.

Banshee: Incredible machine. Front end is too heavy. Has no low end, but the top end is second to none. It takes a lot of getting used to it for trail riding.

Raptor: Loved it. Very tippy. Amazing strength throughout the whole powerband, plus reverse. Too many reliability problems right off the showroom floor. 3rd or 4th year will hopefully be better.

400EX: amazing handling. Too small for me. It doesn't have the power to pull a greasy string out of a cats butt. The handling makes up for its lack of power and speed. A good rider on one could probably waste a mediocre rider on anything else, in tight woods setting.