Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-1999 | 07:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I recently installed a Superwinch 2000 on my Polaris Sportsman. I wired everything according to the instructions which has the positive wire going from the switch directly to the battery. Everything works fine, but I would like the ability to turn the power off to the switch until I need it. The winch specifications show a maximum of 118 amps being drawn. I went to purchase a simple toggle switch to install in-line between the battery and the switch (under the seat), but a 20 amp switch was the largest I could find. I am far from an electrical expert, so I don't want to do something that is going to create a mess with the ATV and/or new winch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

Old 11-20-1999 | 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

With all due respect, I am sorry too hear that you bought a Super winch. You should have bought a WARN winch. Honestly though the WARN winch is wired the same way, but they do draw less current for the same amount of (pulling) load. I have never had any problem with leaving the power wired through the switch.

Old 11-20-1999 | 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, JohnnyB, I would not be so judgmental as you, telling Shadow, "You should have bought a Warn winch."

Further, I would not say Warn winches draw less current that SuperWinches.

According to manufacturers' literature, the Warn A2000 draws 145 amps at 2000 pound line pull, while the SuperWinch ATV2000 draws only 100 amps (from warn.com and SuperWinch Product Guide 1999, page 21).

I use the word "only" in a relative sense; that's a lot of amps!

Shadow, if you installed the "Shortstop" circuit interrupter provided by SuperWinch between the positive battery terminal and the switch hot wire when you connected your winch, fear not. Your system is protected; an additional in-line switch as a circuit interrupter as you suggest is unnecessary.

If you cannot place your confidence in the Shortstop, despite my assurances, a fusible link would be a simpler, more compact, and less expensive approach than a 100 amp 12VDC switch, I think.

Both Warn and SuperWinch produce quality products; I own both; you needn't apologize for mounting your SuperWinch.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-21-1999 | 12:10 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Tree Farmer - thanks for your information. I did install the "shortstop" as instructed. It was just bothering me that you could run the winch at any time, even without the key. I guess I'll just have to get over it! Thanks again. Jack

Old 11-21-1999 | 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

You're welcome, Shadow! Enjoy your SuperWinch in good health!

JohnnyB, I don't suggest in any way you deliberately posted misinformation on the Forum; however, I'm curious: where did you obtain the erroneous information WARN winches draw less current than SuperWinches?

Tree Farmer

Old 11-21-1999 | 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Shadow have had winches installed both ways with and witout switch,to me the swith was just apain would go to use winch then had to reach back up to throw switch. As tree says that over load will take care of any problems with shorts. Later cob

Old 11-21-1999 | 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer, don't tell anybody, but I think JohnnyB doesn't know what he's talking about.
BushHog
'99 Sportsman 335

Old 11-22-1999 | 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

To: Shadow
CC:Tree Farmer
BushHog
Kirk_D4

First and foremost I would like to apologize to Shadow (and anyone else) for any hard feelings that my statement "You should have bought a Warn winch" may have caused. I assure that I had no intentions of passing judgement on anyone. I made that statement based on pride and certain facts that I believe seperate the two winches.

Second, I would like to thank Tree Farmer for keeping me accountable for the integrity of the statements that I make on this forum. I in no way what to jepordize that integrity. I assure you that from now on I will qualify each statement that is of my opinion (not fact) with the phrase "I believe" or "In my opinion".

Third, I would like to address Tree Farmers question about where I got my info. about current draw on the two winches. As you suspected, I guessed. No excuses here, I was WRONG (and for this I apologize). I made an assumption that the Warn winch with its 8 gauge wiring would draw less current than the Superwinch with its 10 gauge wiring. There are several other factors that I neglected to take into consideration, like motor size and gear reduction). I do believe that both companies to thier MOTOR CURRENT TESTING (not real world testing) in a test lab, in ideal conditions with winch mounted in a fixture. Therefor the specifications should be taken with a grain-of-salt.

I believe that the Warn winch is a better winch for the following reasons.
1) The geartrain on the Warn is a 3-stage planetary (which is the system used in most heavy-duty winches). I believe that the Superwinch uses a 2-stage split ring gear ring gear (it might be a single stage reduction). Superwinch probably uses this geartrain because it is inexpensive to manufacture. The drawback to less design is that it is impossible to develop a gear tooth involute (profile) for type of geartrain. This system developes its own gear tooth profile as it wears in. Physics is physics, when the gear pitch changes the pitch circle must also change.

2) Warn has a faster line speed. 4.9 ft/min faster at 2000 lbs. and 10 ft/min faster at 0.0 lbs.

3) Warn has 3/16 dia wire rope with a breaking strength of 4200 lbs. Superwinch has 5/32 dia wire rope with only 2800 lbs breaking strength

4) Warn has a 0.9 Hp motor, Superwinch only has a 0.45 Hp motor

5) Warn has 4 mounting holes, Superwinch has only 2.

6) Can add a remote switch to Warn, cannot to Superwinch

7) Can add a axuilary brake to Warn, cannot to Superwinch.

8) All the OEM's (except Suzuki) have chosen Warn as thier supplier not Superwinch

Superwinch is less expensive and weighs 10 lbs. less, but in my opinion these are its only advantages.

I believe that for the reasons I have stated above, that the Warn A2000 is a better winch than the Superwinch ATV2000. But then again there is that whole pride in ownership thing.

Lastly I would like to address Tree Farmer's advice to install a "Fusible Link" as a possible solution to Shadow's concern about "Ability to turn the power off to the switch until I need it." The definition of a fusible link is as follows; electrical circuit protection device . An electrical conducting material in placed in series between the load and the power supply. In the event of a short circuit the material melts, opening the circuit, preventing damage to the circuit or its components. A fusible link in no way addresses Shadow's concerns. I believe a better solution is to install a solenoid in the circuit, this way the switch only receives power once the key is turned on.

Humbly Yours,
John

Old 11-23-1999 | 04:41 AM
Range Rover

When comparing the 2000 LB warn to a 2000 LB Superwinch I can see that the warn is a superior product. I have a 4500 lb Superwinch model number S4500, and it has a brake, freespool, 50 feet of 1/4" cable, and a remote control. I bought it for 250 dollars new in the box at a resale shop. I figured if it was only half as good as a Warn I was still getting a pretty good deal. I know that the Warn truck winches are by far the best. And comparing the small winches and features I see, now, that the warn is a better deal too, although I am quite content with what I have now.
Kirk

Old 11-23-1999 | 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with JonnyB, install a solenoid (warn is $25.00) this should take care of your concerns. Has anyone noticed that Warn doesn't have an overload, etc. to protect the winch or atv from overloads etc., it either goes or blows!!!! the blows is what can burn your ride to the ground!!!

------------------
Harold Wells Raleigh NC 98 Wolverine& 97 Timberwolf Blueribbon Coalition Member

Quick Reply: Winch Question