Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MY 99 SPORTSMAN

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped by the dealership where my 99 Sportsman is being repaired,and they FINALLY have the engine apart.Three bad valves,bad piston,and a bad cyclinder head were found to be defective.They will have to go 10k over on the piston,so the cyclinder will be sent in for 10k over as well.The problem it seems was a leaking intake boot.It caused dirt ect to enter the engine,thus causing my oil consumtion problems,smoking,poor idle ect.This mechanic seems to know what he's doing.I was right there in the shop with him as he was explaining things,and me,being an x-master automobile mech,agreed with his assumations of the problems.It will be about a month or so before I get it back.CANT WAIT......[i hope it dont snow tooooo hard before i get the big boy back]BILL

Old 11-23-1999, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,
Glad to hear your Sportsman is finally being fixed... A buddy of mine had to grenade his Sportsman 400 before he could finally get the re-current problems fixed once and for all. But, It runs better than a new machine now... they upgraded his piston to a Weisco and he agreed to start mixing his own and they agreed to block off the oil injection. Everybody is happy now....
Glad to hear about yours...
LET IT SNOW!!...

Old 11-23-1999, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to jear your HAPPY again bill,your hell on wheels when you aren't.LOL.Send the snow this way we will keep it for ya. COB

Old 11-23-1999, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Cob,I'll send you a weeeeee little bit of our Michigan snow [yah-like denver needs Mich help]but when the 4x4 gets done,promise to send it back. LOL BILL

Old 11-23-1999, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

Good to hear Bill.

I use gorrila tactics to get service dept. to do what I need done. No not guerilla, gorilla. Just take big, ugly gorilla of a man and stand him up in the middle of service waving arms, cursing, shaking, and foaming at mouth (that was when I put it in for tires to be put on, it took two days, I was upset! Especially since they promised it 10 am the first day!)until some politley takes you into service department to show you exactly what is going on with your quad and what they are doing to please you. My Quad is in the shop (my fault!) now and I called to ask about the progress and I was told it is top priority cause the Service Manager told my advisor I was to treated as V.I.P. parts are being ordered emergency and quad stays on bench till fixed. Free greasing and minor tune while waiting for parts.

Glenn.

Old 11-23-1999, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bill, are these repairs / mods being done under warranty?? If they are I’d push for a new shortblock or even a fresh motor before accepting “warranty” modifications. ‘Course, it all depends on how long you want to keep the machine.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 11-23-1999, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Floodrunner,Im going to be paying for about 1/2 of this out of my pocket.Dealer says he found small traces of dirt particles in the engine,indicating that the quad could of been ran thru mud.Im SOOOOoooo sick and tired of f---in with these people,just fix it,and fix it right.I did show him my maintance records to.I did mud with the big boy once in a while,but ALLWAYS give it a complete L.O.F,air filter service,and complete brake cleaning after any of those events.5 oil changes and filters in 1000 miles.Not owner neglect in my opionion.Ever just throw in the towel?Thats where im at now.If it's not right when I get it back,Im done with it.I'll sell it to some poor ole sucker and buy something else.Im sincerly tired of messing with this subject.I SURRENDER.Will I be pissed?You bet.Something I'll never forget.But HEY,lets look on the bright side and hope for the best.Im like a kid in a candy store right now just waiting to get it back.I hope im not let down again.I am optomistic,this mechanic and I talked for awhile this morning,I like the way he explained things.He is rebuilding it correctly.NOW,if he just assembles it correctly.I have personally rebuilt Automotive engines,and if it's done correctly,I dont worry one bit about warrenty modifcations.A correctly rebuilt engine will last as long as a new one.Beside's----I WANT MY QUAD BACK LOL BILL

------------------

Old 11-23-1999, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

Bill, exactly where was the air leak. Between the air filter box and the carburetor. or the carburetor. and engine

Old 11-23-1999, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bill, You say you will sell it to some poor sucker if it's not fixed this time. I've got to ask you something...your not happy with getting a lemmon right? But yet you would be happy to pass it along to someone else. It seems your no better than the people that your not happy with. Just my thoughts.

Old 11-23-1999, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Engine and carb.

Quick Reply: MY 99 SPORTSMAN