Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shift-On-The-Fly PVT

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-1999, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been on my mind now for some time, but the more we hear about belt problems and melting/warped PVT covers the more I’ve been thinking about it. It seems that because of the power of the 500s they’ll do stuff in high “gear” that really should be done in low out of courtesy to the belt and it gets damaged in the process. Several weeks ago Polaris addressed the problem in and article in their PRO (Propaganda for Registered Owners) magazine. In essence it said, as a rule of thumb, if you’re doing anything other than a slow cruise below 7mph you should be in low or the belt will suffer. I’ve started using low to pick my way through some of the rocky areas on our favorite trails that I’ve previously used high for but on a trail ride with people behind you it’s inconvenient to stop to shift, so most (including me) don’t often do it.

What I’d like to see is a “shift on the fly” for the Polaris PVT. Just back off the throttle like an auto clutch and shift with either a foot control or a left handed lever, or even an electric thumb switch. Wouldn’t that be slick! What do you’all think?

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 11-24-1999, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

That would be an awesome idea. I hate the stop and go as well. I usually just unload the tranny and shift it out and slip it back in high. Never grinds, but I do have to slow considerably to do it.

Glenn.

Old 11-24-1999, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

Good idea!! That's the only thing I don't like about Polaris auto's.

Old 11-24-1999, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

It seems like there would have to be some kind of clutch though. On our 500's, even if just the choke is on and it's idled up a little, it won't go into gear because of the grinding. You have to let it completely settle down.

On my Scrambler, I have no choice, it's high or nothing!. Heres an idea, get going full speed in low range, slam on the rear brakes (so the transmission isn't moving) and when they are sliding shift it into high and then let off the brake. You never stop, but it thinks you did. Hmmm, yall try that, and let know if it works. If it does, I try it afterwards... :-)

Old 11-24-1999, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Adam,
Ok... I'll give it a try at the Karnack Mudrun in February... your dad WILL let me borrow HIS Sportsman for a little "ATV Connection" test .. won't he???? hehehehehehe...... just kiddin.....

Old 11-25-1999, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Adam,
Well, see, I was going to, but considering the Independent Rear Suspension is by far, the most sophisticated and superior suspension system in the All Terrain Vehicle mainstream market today, I would feel increasingly more comfortable performing said test procedures on YOUR equipment. While I test pilot your machine, you will have the once in a lifetime opprotunity to snap photographs of the Y2K Event.
hehehehehehehe.... I say 2K because thats about what it will cost to have the Sportsman put back together after this little test...
hehehehe... see.. I can use a few big words too....
Anyway, I can run to about 25mph in LOW range... and there aren't too many places to run over that in a mudhole...
Happy TurkeyDay Everybody..

Old 11-25-1999, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ah Robert, see, your in luck. The Sportsman & Magnum transmissions although not identical, are close enough that if you try it on the Magnum it will give accurate data for the rest of the forum to study and attempt to comprehend.

Wow, big words.

Simply put---try it on your bike, and you won't even have to borrow ours. It's much more convienant for you, isn't it?

Old 11-25-1999, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I would advise you not to go that fast in lo-gear Mudmachine.
BushHog

Old 11-25-1999, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Floodrunner, contact Polaris Industries about your idea A.S.A.P.!!!

Old 11-25-1999, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Why not BUSHOG?...

Quick Reply: Shift-On-The-Fly PVT