Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shift-On-The-Fly PVT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-1999, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tranny should go any minute, that's why.But, it's not my quad, so do what you like, because I know you will.
BushHog

Old 11-25-1999, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Bushog,
huh?... I'm NOT serious about slamming any machine from low to hi range at ANY speed... that was just me having a little fun with Quad_man...
As for being about to drive at 25 MPH in Low range... it should be able to.. atleast I did it earlier... why.. will this tear it up?...

Old 11-26-1999, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

This problem only has crept up the last couple of years since the SP500 with EBS. This was not a problem on 400 Sportsmen, Explorers or even our old '95 300 4x4. I noticed that when the EBS clutches were replaced with a roller setup, low and behold, it performed like a real atv again, but better. Sure you should use low when pulling heavy loads, etc., but the real culprit is the setup on these ebs clutch systems. I noticed that there was a tremendous amount of heat being generated from the stock ebs clutching, that has now disappeared. What is needed is a better designed ebs setup and junk the present one.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 11-26-1999, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well Jack, I must admit that certainly sounds like a simpler idea than mine. I’m sure it’s happened before; a “patch” has been applied to correct a problem that was simply a poor design in the first place. And it’s resulted in a needlessly complicated system.

I understand your feelings about EBS, for you they’re valid. As you know, for my riding style I prefer having it. Did you once tell me that the clutch(es) you installed still enjoy some engine braking effect? More than the stock clutches w/o EBS?

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 11-26-1999, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

When your buttons wear down you get more braking from the clutches. That's not good though, it kills performance & your belt. Oh well, more engine braking!

With a roller, could you setup a really hard & aggressive back shift because you wouldn't have to worry about the button life?

Old 11-27-1999, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Mudmachine,I just wouldn't go that fast in low gear good buddy. Would anybody on this post go 25 in low?

Old 11-27-1999, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 00' magnum 325 4x4, i only run it about half throtle in low, cause it dosen't even sound good cause it is realy screamin rpm's that is, and polaris wasn't made for that take notice it levels off on when running flat out it is screamin like a geared machine.

Old 11-28-1999, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure the smaller Magnums do scream at 25 mph in low... But, having a Magnum 500 and the oversized tires (27") it really doesn't seem to be straining at 25.. But, if I was going to flat out trail ride for a half mile.. Yeah, I'd stop and shift to High..

Old 12-01-1999, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

The roller clutch on a 4 stroke offers tremendous engine braking as long as the clutches are set up correctly. Mine gets really good braking until 5 mph when it disengages. In fact, I rarely, if ever have to use the brakes. I hear about all the brake problems, but have never witnessed this because we don't use brakes, hardly ever. I'll bet the brakes on on SP500 will last 5 years under the present conditions, simply because the roller offers such superior backshifting that if brakes an engine like it's in 2nd gear. It's far, far superior to the ebs setup which I'm very familiar with.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 12-01-1999, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Adam -

The roller seup eliminates the plastic buttons with bearings. Originally I was told to expect these rollers to wear quickly, but that hasn't happended. The roller offers virtually instant backshifting. The best way to put it is that it's like you are riding a machine with a standard tranny. There is immediate, and I mean immediate response on and off. There is virtually no time drag from throttle to clutch response at all. Polaris knows this, but they don't care. Their stock atv clutches are garbage the way they send them from the factory. One only has to look at what they consider to be their performance sleds to find Polaris' own roller clutches. Low and behold. But like every other performance enhancement for quads, Polaris would rather spend their $$$ on nascar advertising rather than improving their on atv's. it's starting to catch up with them.

Many of their sleds were the laughing stock on the snow last winter. Ski-Doo ate their lunch and everyone else's too. It looks like the same thing is going to happen in atv's real soon.