Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

who designs polaris

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-1999, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHO DESIGNS POLARIS:Ever wonder about that well came across this article I think answers it.Just hang in there it's along one.
The US standard railroad gauge (distance between track)IS 4feet 8.5 inches.Thats an odd number,why use it?Thats the way the ENGLISH built thiers,and ENGLISH expatriates built the US railroads.
Why did they use this number,Because first rail lines were built by the same people who built pre-railroad tramways,and thats the gauge they used.
Why did "they"use that gauge then?Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they used to build wagons,which used that wheel spacing.
OKAY! Why did the wagons use that odd spacing?" you ask"Well if they used any other spacing the wagons would break on some of the old,long distanceroads,because thats the spacing of old wheel ruts.
< Hang in there i'm getting to it.>
So who built those old rutted roads?The first long distance roads in EUROPE were built by IMPERIAL ROME for the benefit of thier legions.the roads have been used ever since.
And the ruts?Roman war chariots first made the inital ruts,which everyone else had to match or risk ruining thier wagon.Since the chariots were made by or for Imperial ROME they were all alike as far as wheel spacing.
Thus we now have answer to original question.The standard gauge of 4ft 8.5 inches derives from the original specs of the roman war chariots wheel spacing.
So the next time you are handed a specifacation and wonder what "Horse's ***"came up with it,you maybe right on target.Because the roman war chariots were made to be the same width as two war horses backends.
now even more...There,s an interesting extention to this story about railroads gauge and horses behinds.When you see the SPACE SHUTTLE sitting on the launch pad,there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank.These are the solid rocket boosters or SRBs.Thiokol makes them at factory in UTAH.The engineers maybe would have wanted them to be wider but,they had to be shipped by train to the launch site.the railroad line goes through the Moutains and a tunnel on the way.The SRBs had to fit through the tunnel which was just a little wider than the tracks that were the width of two roman horses backends.so a major design feature of what is arguably the worlds most advanced transportation system was determined by the width of a horse's ***!
As I look at the width of my polaris 500sp getting wider I wonder what horses *** designed it!!!!Also wonder if it will ever reach the 4ft 8.5 inch width.

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 11-27-1999).]

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 11-27-1999).]

Old 11-27-1999, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

IF you read this at least say so,so I don't feel like I wasted my time.

Old 11-27-1999, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Perhaps we should have called you "Wilson" . That certainly sounded "Wilsonish"

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 11-27-1999, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

I think James Burke ought to get in touch with you for the next episode of 'Connections' on the Discovery Channel! Great job, Cob!

------------------
Donald J. Dickinson 99 Magnum 500, 99 Sport 400L Ooh yeah!

Old 11-27-1999, 09:10 PM
hc
Range Rover

Cob, mind revealing the source? I like reading articles like that! Thanks for the info.

Old 11-27-1999, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Cob, I read it and enjoyed it! I just didn't know what to reply with.

You said:
IF you read this at least say so

So, I will end it with, "so" :-)

[This message has been edited by quad_man (edited 11-27-1999).]

Old 11-27-1999, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

And I tried to go all day without learning anything. LOL

Good one Cob.

Old 11-27-1999, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Im with quad man. It was a good story but it left me speechless.
Andy G

Old 11-27-1999, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

So.
BushHog

Old 11-27-1999, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

Good one!

Quick Reply: who designs polaris